Are most fibre optic HDMI cables much of a muchness?

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to buy a 75 or 100 metre fibre optic HDMI cable to allow me to feed HDMI video and audio from a Sony FDR-AX700 camcorder to OBS on my PC in the house. Prices vary wildly for similar (alleged) specifications. I'd like pretty much loss free 4K at 60FPS.

Does anyone have experience of these who could give an opinion on how they found them please?

How robust are they in tension? Will they self support over say 30 meters, or do they need a support cable to allow them to be supported at closer intervals?

Many thanks in anticipation.

How robust are they in tension? Will they self support over say 30 meters, or do they need a support cable to allow them to be supported at closer intervals?

From my experience with Ethernet, I wouldn’t leave any comms cable without separate support for that distance. It feels like asking for trouble.

I could not say about HDMI , but the fiber optic cable from the telegraph pole to my house, gets rained on , snowed on and blown about in gales, goes from -10 to +35 degrees heat with no issues, I think they are more robust than we imagine

Last edited:
as a retired network engineer with a great deal of experience of fibre i would say you would absolutely need to support it at least every 3/4 metres not a chance at 30m it will tear inside.
looking at the spec it says 100m as it looks like the conversion is powered in the sockets , i suspect it steals power from the HDMI plug

I could not say about HDMI , but the fiber optic cable from the telegraph pole to my house, gets rained on , snowed on and blown about in gales, goes from -10 to +35 degrees heat with no issues, I think they are more robust than we imagine

outdoor fibre is different it is in a supportive core with a guide wire taking the load, also it is designed that way , indoor fibre has no ability to do this.

Thanks for the replies so far, so are these cables not meant for outdoor usage at all??

I agree that broadband fibre optic cable that brings the internet to lucky people's homes is needfully robust and designed to be either buried or in tension over longish overhead runs.

Ideally I guess I could really do with that sort of spec cable but with internal copper power conductors and terminated for HDMI transmission and reception :) Meanwhile I'll have to make do with what's available in the real world and at reasonable prices!

Looking at some adverts it appears the black sheathing might only be for a very short distance from the plugs and the rest of the cable looks similar to very heavy gauge fishing line, and comes on a similar looking spool. Is that the case?

Being out in the sticks visiting retailers to view in person is more of a chore than when I lived in the suburbs. ( But it has it's compensating features ;) )

Thanks again.

Back