Going DIY strap route

Name
rd6743
Edit My Images
Yes
Peak Design seems to get a lot of good reviews, but seems expensive and not my taste. Although, functionality is king.

So, after some research, aka google-fu, black rapid gets good reviews too but again cost. I then found out about QD hardware, primarily the military / gun sling gear.

So, after some thinking I've ordered 2 arca swiss plates with QD sockets in them. £20 a piece and coming from USA being the cheapest I can find. Bought two QD connectors, some webbing, three tri slides and a HK hook too.

So the plan, once the postie has been a few times, is to use the first tri slide to secure on of the QD to the end of the strap. Another tri slide goes a little way up on the other end securing the HK hook, and then at the end of that end another tri slide and the last QD connector.

I've got to main lens I use, 12-40 and 100-400 for the OM-1. 1 plate goes on the camera body and the other on the 100-400 lens.

Carrying the camera and 100-400 with be using both QD connectors, one on the lens and one on the body - my thinking being it'll share the weight between the two and not have lens hanging off the body and vice versa. Then when carying the camera with the 12-40, I'll use the QD on the camera body and the other end of the sling, by the hook to the QD connector on the camera body.

I'll be running it cross body, under the backpack straps, so I can take the backpack on and off and keep the camera on me when hiking. Most recently I've just been using paracord tied to the camera body metal eyelet and running down a shoulder strap on the bag and hitched it onto the carrying handle on the bag. The hook should also be handy if I want to attach the sling to the shoulder strap d rings on the backpack too.

I'll see about posting some photos once I get the pieces delivered and put together.

Keeping a watch on this one. I have made a few bags in the past and have been tempted to do some kind af slip strap.

I did not realise you could get QD fittings on camera accessories, I have used them a lot in the past on rifle slings

One of my mates has the knock-off copy from flebay. While the webbing is thinner it's pretty sturdy for the £5 ish he paid for it. It even has the slide stop thingies. He's added a safety strap as it didnt have one.

Expensive camera and lenses, with a cheap strap hmmmm good luck. Not something I'd personally risk.

Expensive camera and lenses, with a cheap strap hmmmm good luck. Not something I'd personally risk.
They’ve done well in brainwashing you into thinking only their over priced straps can hold a camera.

Marketing at its best.

Yes you can get some cheap crap but you do not have to pay PD prices either.

Did your googling find the Joby Sling Strap?

Its what I use

They’ve done well in brainwashing you into thinking only their over priced straps can hold a camera.

Marketing at its best.

Well that's my choice. I don't put cheap tyres on my car either.

Marketing at its best.

I’d add that one of the most highly praised ‘big brand straps’ has an obvious design flaw that regularly fails.
But still sells on a reputation as tough and macho.

Did your googling find the Joby Sling Strap?

Its what I use
I’ve got a Joby strap (the wife’s in reality) and it’s very comfortable, but the bulk at the bottom of the camera is a really bad design, and makes the use of tripods a PITA too.

Well that's my choice. I don't put cheap tyres on my car either.
It’s not and never will be about cheap v expensive, it’s about good v not so good.

Some ‘expensive’ tyres and camera straps are junk, some less expensive ones are better.

It’s a generalisation that ‘quality costs’, but that doesn’t mean that paying more guarantees quality.

I’ve got a Joby strap (the wife’s in reality) and it’s very comfortable, but the bulk at the bottom of the camera is a really bad design, and makes the use of tripods a PITA too.
Can't say I've noticed the "bulk" and if I'm using a strap I'm usually out for a walk and not carrying a tripod. Even when I am using both strap and tripod I don't find it hard to unscrew.

It’s not and never will be about cheap v expensive, it’s about good v not so good.

Some ‘expensive’ tyres and camera straps are junk, some less expensive ones are better.

It’s a generalisation that ‘quality costs’, but that doesn’t mean that paying more guarantees quality.
I totally agree. Just wouldn't fancy risking a DIY strap. But that's just me.

To be honest I’ve always thought that the strap types that the camera and lens hangs off a clip from the tripod socket was dodgy
For years I have used the optech straps and harnesses not too expensive well made and never had an issue with them
They either connect to the loops on the camera or the bigger heavier lenses have loops, these places were meant by the camera makers to take the weight of the gear

I prefer a simple loop of paracord, which costs about 1p.

For longer lenses with a foot I use a Black Rapid Sport QD with an extra "security" strap.
The BR isn't cheap but I'm carrying expensive lenses. It's also very comfortable.

For a body with a standard zoom I use the Sunwayfoto QD. It also double as a tripod strap after I fit some Leofoto QD mounts.

To be honest I’ve always thought that the strap types that the camera and lens hangs off a clip from the tripod socket was dodgy
For years I have used the optech straps and harnesses not too expensive well made and never had an issue with them
They either connect to the loops on the camera or the bigger heavier lenses have loops, these places were meant by the camera makers to take the weight of the gear
I used OpTech for years and still maintain they’re the best bang for buck out there. And the simple move from neck strap to twin harness is fab.
My new problem is that for travel and casual use (my current use case) I prefer a sling, and the OpTech sling is bloody useless.
I’ve recently bought a peak design slide, and whilst I prefer it to the Joby, I still don’t think it’s the perfect solution.

I must admit I stopped using a normal neck strap years ago. Full frame dslr with a heavy lens had my neck in pieces after a few hours. Peak design clutch on my 5d to prevent an accidental drop, with a capture clip on my backpack shoulder strap for carrying. On my X-t30 then a peak design cuff is all i need although if we're on a family day out to somewhere like castle ruins that may need two hands to negotiate then i still use my capture clip to free up a hand even though the X-t30 is plenty light enough to carry by hand all day

i use PD straps ad have done for many years. Neve had one fail on me and being able to quick release via the button system saves so much time. AsS others have said, buy camera gear costing thousand of pound and skimp on camera straps doesn't make any sense to me

I use a PD lite strap. Tabs on the A7Riii and X100f plus the X100f has a paracord style wrist strap. Capture Clip on the big backpack. Can't remember the last time I used any of it on the A7Riii though, probably holiday last year.

Carrying the camera and 100-400 with be using both QD connectors, one on the lens and one on the body - my thinking being it'll share the weight between the two and not have lens hanging off the body and vice versa.
IMO, this is not advisable. Yes, the load will be shared between the two points, but it will put additional load/leverage/wear on the lens mount. You are best off with a single attachment point to the heaviest part. A secondary backup (safety) isn't a bad idea, but it should only be to catch the lens if the single point fails.

I used OpTech for years and still maintain they’re the best bang for buck out there. And the simple move from neck strap to twin harness is fab.
My new problem is that for travel and casual use (my current use case) I prefer a sling, and the OpTech sling is bloody useless.
Just saw this, what don't you like about their sling?

I always really liked the Utility Sling. And my new custom harness for heavy kit is remanufactured from OpTech stuff uses the quick adjust sling adapter. The quick adjust strap slips a little too easy IMO, but there is an easy fix for that.

Last edited:
Just saw this, what don't you like about their sling?

I always really liked the Utility Sling. And my new custom harness for heavy kit is remanufactured from OpTech stuff uses the quick adjust sling adapter. The quick adjust strap slips a little too easy IMO, but there is an easy fix for that.
The sling I had (and only one I could find) had no slide or adjustment and was never comfortable.

I also have no need nowadays for the double harness. I thought it felt like the right time to move on. And now you have me wondering whether a decision that took me 2 years was ‘rash’

Back