weekly HelenC's 52 for 2024. Week 19: Bent

Like the monochrome too.
Looks like you blurred the water - longer exposure or post processing ?
Helps to keep focus on the pier - great pic

Edit: just realised your post explained the technique

Last edited:
Nicely done (as always) Helen. I want to try some long exposure stuff - I have a pier near me, but never successfully managed it. I'm guessing I'd need some ND filters and my tripod.
* starts to Google

Very nice long exposure, sea looks great and pier looking good. Free parking as a bonus as well(y)

Oh aye that’s a belter :)

Empty - love the way the rain is crossing the sky in the picture

Structure - very nicely done indeed.

Nicely done (as always) Helen. I want to try some long exposure stuff - I have a pier near me, but never successfully managed it. I'm guessing I'd need some ND filters and my tripod.
* starts to Google
Thanks Simon. Yup, you'll definitely need an ND filter and a tripod. I usually play around in bulb mode but, due to my frugality with parking I had limited time so stuck on a 10 stop ND in AV mode with an overexposure of 1 stop to get the high key effect. I think this was around a 20 second exposure. To get an even smoother effect I play around with exposures of up to 1 minute. You need to juggle with low ISO and higher apertures to achieve different effects. I really enjoy playing around with these, it's fun (well, in my book.. !). Enjoy.

Black and White works well.

Very nice!

Like the monochrome too.
Looks like you blurred the water - longer exposure or post processing ?
Helps to keep focus on the pier - great pic

Edit: just realised your post explained the technique

Super shot. Floats my boat totally!!

Very nice long exposure, sea looks great and pier looking good. Free parking as a bonus as well(y)

Another great image.

Long exposure helps keep the focus (pardon the pun) on the pier.

Oh aye that’s a belter :)

Empty - love the way the rain is crossing the sky in the picture

Structure - very nicely done indeed.

Piers are great subjects, lovely shot, left enough movement in the sea.

Thanks for the lovely comments. I do love a long exposure...

A quick phone shot. Work being done on the house left little time to get out and about.

Caught this on the way to the supermarket - very cloudy and the light was very fleeting so it was a lucky "side of the road" capture.

IMG_20240508_122623 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Works does that :banana:

Structure - that's spectacular, I love it
Straight - good find, maybe it's the effect of the phone but it almost looks drawn

Works does that :banana:

Great minds think alike :)

Structure - that's spectacular, I love it
Straight - good find, maybe it's the effect of the phone but it almost looks drawn

Nice, but as with Crotal's, I am curious about these lines. Tractor?
Thanks @BobBCN The lines are indeed made by the machinery. Then use the same lines when spraying etc. to avoid damaging the crop.

Well spotted! It is perfect for the theme.
Thanks for the great comments folks.

Guess who missed the aurora despite being on a photography trip at the time. We missed the alerts as we went to bed early due to a 4am start for a misty sunrise... the sun just forgot to rise in the dense fog.. Doh!!

So, a homage to the muddy Blackwater Estuary with some bent channels

PW6A8521 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

A nice moody shot Helen :)

A great shot for the week, you've got a great atmosphere and I like the flash of colour too
Unfortunate about missing the aurora - hoping for another one in the future as in the same boat here!

That's very nice. Well composed.

A nice moody shot Helen :)

Super shot once again. Moody, as said, and the composition spot on, as said, too.

A lovely shot, as always Helen

I'd argue angular, rather than bent, but it doesn't detract from the image.

It's a great shot.
@Kell Okay, hands up to the squeak squeak of a shoehorn.. :D

Lovely shot and as said good composition. I would hate to get stuck out there though.

Very moody, would be a bit lonely out there

A great shot for the week, you've got a great atmosphere and I like the flash of colour too
Unfortunate about missing the aurora - hoping for another one in the future as in the same boat here!

Thanks folks. It was rather a desolate view even though we were standing on the "promenade".

Back