Landscape equipment - Fuji vs Olympus

Last edited:
I have just returned from Porth beach in Cornwall and took these with the OM1 and 8-25mm lens. I am trying to convince myself that I need to buy a FUJI GFX 100s but they look fine printed at A3+. GAS is strong but it is hard to justify such a large outlay when the results from this light combo are very acceptable. I also shot some using the 40-150 lens which is also a great combo and something I couldn't do on the GFX100s.

Whipsiderry beach by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Yeah, no issue printing m4/3 at A3, even the older 16mp sensors.

I have just picked up a mint 2nd hand 8-25mm F4 as i was curious as to how it performs. Looking at your Flickr page, I think it will be a good combination with my OM-1.

The 8-25mm is my go to lens for many situations

I have just returned from Porth beach in Cornwall and took these with the OM1 and 8-25mm lens. I am trying to convince myself that I need to buy a FUJI GFX 100s but they look fine printed at A3+. GAS is strong but it is hard to justify such a large outlay when the results from this light combo are very acceptable. I also shot some using the 40-150 lens which is also a great combo and something I couldn't do on the GFX100s.

Lovely set Gordon

Well against all reason I have purchased a mint Fuji GFX 100s from a forum member. Did I need it? no not really. Will it improve my photography? Only in the fact I will probably shoot more landscape images. Will I enjoy it? Most definitely. The OM1 is perfectly capable of fulfilling all my needs but the GFX system is fun to use. I spent most of my career shooting with a Hasselblad and this reminds me of that, Slow and methodical, taking time over each shot.

After a bit of experimenting this week, I’m leaning towards Olympus and getting rid of the Fuji gear. The Olympus is the camera I lean towards picking up more than the Fuji. My landscape photography leaves a lot to be desired though. It doesn’t help having to take care of a needy dog and cater my time around others while on holiday. My landscape photography has been done using primarily the 12-45mm, although I did use the xf 10-24 a couple of times and found it very good for interiors more so than landscapes. I do find the Olympus to produce more accurate straight out of camera jpgs. I’m not one for doing too much post production work. Perhaps my next big photographic investment should be a decent computer and photoshop/lightroom. Also, after using a Hoya R72 IR filter, I’m half tempted to invest in an IR converted camera for dramatic black and whites.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2pMTBZ9

More photos to sort through, but here’s one from my e-m1 ii using an nd 1000 filter on the 12-45mm. One thing I’ve learnt is that I need a bigger, better tripod. Although I was at Derwent Water yesterday and I think managed to take some shots at 2.5 seconds handheld. I’ll need to check the photos later to see how sharp they were, but if 2.5 seconds was sharp, I’ll be impressed.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2pMTBZ9

More photos to sort through, but here’s one from my e-m1 ii using an nd 1000 filter on the 12-45mm. One thing I’ve learnt is that I need a bigger, better tripod. Although I was at Derwent Water yesterday and I think managed to take some shots at 2.5 seconds handheld. I’ll need to check the photos later to see how sharp they were, but if 2.5 seconds was sharp, I’ll be impressed.
Wht tripod do you have and why do you want bigger and better?

I've gone the other way with my tripod, i.e. gone smaller and lighter as I was sick of hauling a heaveir tripod across the countryside. I've not yet found the height limiting (It's 'only' 152cm tall and I'm 6'4"), but it's tiny when folded and only weighs 1.29kg.

Wht tripod do you have and why do you want bigger and better?

I've gone the other way with my tripod, i.e. gone smaller and lighter as I was sick of hauling a heaveir tripod across the countryside. I've not yet found the height limiting (It's 'only' 152cm tall and I'm 6'4"), but it's tiny when folded and only weighs 1.29kg.
Mine only stands at 5.5 inches high. Probably 7 inches when the legs are folded down. I can’t adjust the height, or even take photos in portrait mode. Still handy to have and was surprised it took the weight of the e-m1 ii with the 12-45mm on it. But if I were to take landscape photography a bit more seriously then a better tripod is needed. I just checked the handheld images with a 2.5 seconds exposure and unfortunately those aren’t sharp at all. I thought that might’ve been a bit too much to expect from the IBIS

Mine only stands at 5.5 inches high. Probably 7 inches when the legs are folded down. I can’t adjust the height, or even take photos in portrait mode. Still handy to have and was surprised it took the weight of the e-m1 ii with the 12-45mm on it. But if I were to take landscape photography a bit more seriously then a better tripod is needed. I just checked the handheld images with a 2.5 seconds exposure and unfortunately those aren’t sharp at all. I thought that might’ve been a bit too much to expect from the IBIS
Ahh, yes that is tiny :LOL:

Back