Lighting challenge 1, coffee cup

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
So, this is our first challenge. It's a very simple example of brightfield lighting, where the subject is lit by the background.

It’s as simple as it gets, because everyone here can do their own version, with this very simple subject and very simple lighting – although of course you can do it differently, and better! We'll see how it goes and may find ourselves with more difficult challenges later.

Let’s start off with the final image. Real-world, we would all do some computer work, matching the background colours, and density, getting rid of the join line, doing some retouching to clean things up, and using the distort tool to square up the distortion caused by looking down on the subject – but we’re not carrying out computer work on these challenges, because doing so can hide the faults that we want to show.
final.jpg

If this was a product shot then of course the glass cup would have been new, perfect and thoroughly cleaned, but this cup, which serves one of my three personal addictions, is far from new. The printing probably sums me up, but I’m told that it has something to do with Harry Potter and isn’t about me

My sole light source was my computer monitor, it was too high off the computer desk so a couple of other coffee mugs and a bit of white plastic were needed to raise it up, as you can see in this setup shot
setup_1.jpg

A bit of card would have done just as well, the choice depends on whether or not we want a semi-reflection.

I shot this at f/16, to get acceptable dof, at 1600 ISO, maybe not perfect for my camera, which as you can see isn’t quite Nikons’ latest offering, but as you can see, it’s OK. The shutter speed was 1/20th second, which was OK as the camera was mounted on my scaffolding set tripod. If my camera can shoot with this low level of light then so can yours . . .

setup_2.jpg

So, I started off with an empty cup, a good starting point because if the shot wasn't going to work then any problems should be solved before adding the contents.

empty.jpg

And then added the coffee
black.jpg

And then added the milk. This type of shot always needs far more milk than usual, because the finished result always photographs very dark
milk.jpg

This is actually supposed to be cappuccino, but getting it to look right is beyond my capabilities and I certainly can’t make a pretty design from the froth.

I thought it would be nice to show some steam, but real steam is pretty much impossible with coffee from a machine, short of then boiling it in the microwave, so I took the usual lazy way out, catered for one of my other addictions and blew some smoke into the shot. This really needed a drinking straw and another person, but I had neither :rolleyes:

So, over to you!

Please photograph a similar subject, using whatever approach and whatever lighting you wish, and explain and illustrate your choices. This is designed to be a useful lighting experience and not a critique thread. I don’t care if people want to make critical comments about my own post, but please don’t be critical of other members, just show us what you can do, with SOOC images.

Last edited:
I’m almost certainly incapable of a much better image, but I’m definitely aiming to create a better coffee. ;)

Don’t know what kind of critique that counts as.
The coffee is actually fine and tastes better than it looks, which shows that you could do a much better job of photographing it:)
So, don't be shy, do your own version of brightfield lighting and prove what we already know - that you're better than me . . .

The coffee is actually fine and tastes better than it looks, which shows that you could do a much better job of photographing it:)
So, don't be shy, do your own version of brightfield lighting and prove what we already know - that you're better than me . . .
Not even in the same ballpark. And honoured to have spent time watching you work :)

When I first saw these your thread about these challenges I dismissed them as something I probably would not be able to do with my meagre lighting kit, but this is a good one to start off with.

Ok firstly excuse my ignorance. But do we emulate what you've done, or just shoot a coffee cup, and show what has been done to get said shot, and post it here?

Ok firstly excuse my ignorance. But do we emulate what you've done, or just shoot a coffee cup, and show what has been done to get said shot, and post it here?
You can shoot a transparent or translucent item, using brightfield lighting, or you can shoot a coffee cup or similar in a different way, showing how you did it.
The whole idea really is to encourage people to do something that they wouldn't normally do, and to learn from the process, with the process being more important than the finished reselt.

You can shoot a transparent or translucent item, using brightfield lighting, or you can shoot a coffee cup or similar in a different way, showing how you did it.
The whole idea really is to encourage people to do something that they wouldn't normally do, and to learn from the process, with the process being more important than the finished reselt.
Ok cool. Thanks, Garry (y)

OK I will start the ball rolling
First thing, this is not easy, trying to balance the exposure of the subject with the background is a bit difficult and in my case a shortage of space and lighting did not help.

p1042932169-5.jpg

The background is my monitor with a new PS file in white, the monitor is a Dell ultrasharp at 50% brightness.
Camera is Fuji XE-2 with a 35mm Fuji f2.
Settings are 1/15sec at f8 ISO 800, tripod mounted.
The set up is as shown

p481526980-4.jpg

I could really have done with a bit more space and a bigger light source and without the black cards I was finding it very difficult to get the sides of the bottle to show up.
As a matter of interest what would be used as a light source in a studio environment.
But all in all, a worthwhile exercise and a valuable learning exercise I would not otherwise have had.
Looking forward to the next one

Last edited:
The background is my monitor with a new PS file in white, the monitor is a Dell ultrasharp at 50% brightness.
I did exactly the same, but didn't bother to adjust the monitor brightness
without the black cards I was finding it very difficult to get the sides of the bottle to show up.

The black cards would have been more effective if they were much closer
As a matter of interest what would be used as a light source in a studio environment.
Pretty much anything really, my personal preference would be flash, but continuous lighting would be OK. I've used a softbox as the light source sometimes, or I've just lit a plain wall or corner, the beauty of brightfield lighting is its simplicity, just about everything works.

Certainly not a criticism, but perhaps you didn't need to have a looking down shot of this subject, as you didn't need to show the depth of the bottle top - which I did need to do with the coffee cup. Just something to think about . . .

Thanks for posting it

Thank you for your reply,it was very useful.
The reason for the looking down was simply if I took the shot straight on I got the top of the monitor in but I will use something else next time

Well I tried :)
Here`s my coffee cup.

Fuju XT-5 35mm 1/60 f8 iso 400 ocf at 1/64 power (with gridded hood).

BG lighting was from a flat light thing called Vario. I used the flash, as the foreground was a little too dark (easily sorted in post). But as you said, this is soc. Just resized for tp.
Shot on the floor lol so space was tricky, but kinda made it work.

coffee cup for tp.jpgcoffee cup set up 1.jpgcoffee cup set up 2.jpgcoffee cup set up 3.jpg

I think that your camera height is spot-on, you needed it that high to show the depth, and because the subject is wider than it is high,, you haven't ended up with unacceptable perspective distortion. This is a good, very clean example of a very simple arrangement (and yes, I have seen your very striking and effective edit, https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...x-owners-thread.527428/page-1842#post-9483791.

Perhaps, as often happens, the light cube has created more problems than it has solved, the main problem here is that those black(?) surfaces are reflective and so cannot photograph as black, and the flash is maybe a bit too bright and is doing a lot more than the light from the light cube, but that's a matter of taste, but that's just my thoughts, I'm often wrong:)

Thanks for posting it.

Here is my attempt.
I didn't have a clear coffee mug so I went with some other clear glass I had in the cupboard and added some of the missuses toxic looking sports drink for a splash of colour.

Used an A3 led light board and a piece of black acrylic plastic as a base with black mount board to the sides and on top to help define the glass edges.

Shot with a 135mm f4 lens on a 5Diii at 1/4sec f22 ISO400 SOOC

Looking at it afterwards I realised the giant cognac glass is not perfectly formed with the stem making it slightly lopsided...
5P8A4419.jpg

the setup
5P8A4422.jpg

I think that your camera height is spot-on, you needed it that high to show the depth, and because the subject is wider than it is high,, you haven't ended up with unacceptable perspective distortion. This is a good, very clean example of a very simple arrangement (and yes, I have seen your very striking and effective edit, https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...x-owners-thread.527428/page-1842#post-9483791.

Perhaps, as often happens, the light cube has created more problems than it has solved, the main problem here is that those black(?) surfaces are reflective and so cannot photograph as black, and the flash is maybe a bit too bright and is doing a lot more than the light from the light cube, but that's a matter of taste, but that's just my thoughts, I'm often wrong:)

Thanks for posting it.
Thanks for the feedback, Garry (y)
Yeah the cards I used are actually dark grey (but that`s all I have), and cut from a fabric sample book. I like them as they are about 4mm thick, so super sturdy. I agree with the flash, and will try to figure a way to reduce it even more. Maybe just moving it away?

That's a very good example of brightfield lighting, and the absorber boards have made a big difference,

Maybe the camera height could have been dead straight, which would have given a bit more definition of the top of the glass, but that's just a matter of personal preference
That drink looks revolting, I'm glad that I don't do sport - unless watching snooker on TV counts:) but it's perfect for this shot.

Thanks for the feedback, Garry (y)
Yeah the cards I used are actually dark grey (but that`s all I have), and cut from a fabric sample book. I like them as they are about 4mm thick, so super sturdy. I agree with the flash, and will try to figure a way to reduce it even more. Maybe just moving it away?
Absorbant matt paper and board is sold in art materials shops, much better for photography. Not as good as black flock of genuine black velvet, but much cheaper:)
If you can't reduce the flash power any further then you could perhaps fit something over the front to reduce the effective power. Moving it further away will also reduce the effective power, but will also create a harder light, you could try and see what you think. And another option would be to use a longer shutter speed (and reduce the ISO to suit), which would leave the flash contribution unchanged but increase the contribution of the continuous light,

Last edited:
Absorbant matt paper and board is sold in art materials shops, much better for photography. Not as good as black block of genuine black velvet, but much cheaper:)
If you can't reduce the flash power any further then you could perhaps fit something over the front to reduce the effective power. Moving it further away will also reduce the effective power, but will also create a harder light, you could try and see what you think.
Thank you for the tips, re the board. I have a craft shop (usual big one, but can't for the life of me remember what it's called) not too far away.
But also going to do a lazy Google ;)

I've got a shower cap somewhere that I used to use for covering the flash, so will try to find that and see it it'll reduce said flash power enough.

Well I tried :)
Here`s my coffee cup.

Fuju XT-5 35mm 1/60 f8 iso 400 ocf at 1/64 power (with gridded hood).

BG lighting was from a flat light thing called Vario. I used the flash, as the foreground was a little too dark (easily sorted in post). But as you said, this is soc. Just resized for tp.
Shot on the floor lol so space was tricky, but kinda made it work.

View attachment 422096View attachment 422097View attachment 422098View attachment 422099

I am intrigued with the flash hood it looks a very useful bit of kit what is it and where from please
Thanks

Chris

That's a very good example of brightfield lighting, and the absorber boards have made a big difference,

Maybe the camera height could have been dead straight, which would have given a bit more definition of the top of the glass, but that's just a matter of personal preference
That drink looks revolting, I'm glad that I don't do sport - unless watching snooker on TV counts:) but it's perfect for this shot.
Thanks, I did try multiple angles, glasses and liquids and this was my favourite of the lot. Red wine in a wine glass was a close second but the toilet cleaner blue lucozade won out. Not sure how she drinks the stuff, personally I think it tastes as disgusting as it looks. :puke:

Back