weekly Nog's 52 Week 19 bent

Kendal - not far from me :)

No1 works best as the bent necks don't show well in No2.
Thanks Dave, its a lovely area, yes only had a phone and walking along canal to a pub so couldn't hang around :)
I agree that the canal works best, although a good idea for the swans if they had shows a little more attention to the camera
Thanks Meg, think they were more concerned about their nest.
Yes the canal bend works best for me, sort of needs something walking or cycling over the bridge?
Thanks Alan, yes someone on the bridge would add to the picture. Some of the bridges are not is use, just fields either side, don't know if they were built for the farmers use or the roads have been dug up.
Agreed, #1 fits the theme better. Lovely spot.
Thanks Helen
Sorry, another vote for #1 here.
Thanks Paul, well at least I am consistent in usually picking the wrong pic :)

Some of the bridges are not is use, just fields either side, don't know if they were built for the farmers use or the roads have been dug up.
Keith, they are typically Accommodation bridges, built to allow farmers and other landowners to access their land on the far side of the canal when the canals were first constructed. This was a measure to gain the landowner's permission to allow the canal company to take some of their land.

There are many different styles of such accommodation bridges: swing bridges, lift bridges and full blown brick bridges. I suspect the choice may depend on how "lawyered" up the landowner was. Many of the bridges have fallen out of use completely.

Reactions: nog
Back