L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Anyonoe have experience with the 150-600 Sigma? I'm currently on the L 100-400 on my SL2 but need something a bit longer..

I did briefly have the 150-600 and it was far too heavy for me. It was fine on local trips but dragging it over fields got old real quick. I have the 100-400 and agree that at time longer would be better. Would the 1.4x be more appropriate? Certainly cheaper at the cost of a stop.

I’m going to get one on loan including the Sigma EF-L adapter so should give my lenses a good try out, I mainly shoot af-c and subject detect.

The Sigma branded adapter will be your best bet. There are a few AF test videos on YouTube with the S5ii can Canon EF glass and it seems to perform quite well.

As an L Mount alliance member, Sigma has full access to the mount data which should ensure the best compatibility/performance.

I did briefly have the 150-600 and it was far too heavy for me. It was fine on local trips but dragging it over fields got old real quick. I have the 100-400 and agree that at time longer would be better. Would the 1.4x be more appropriate? Certainly cheaper at the cost of a stop.
That’s a good point actually.. I’ve been spoiled before having the R5 and the 800 F11. There are those who are like…… but seriously that is one insane and great combo, but I’m determined to keep the Leica, sent the R5 to MPB a while back. Forcing myself to get on with the SL2!!

The Sigma branded adapter will be your best bet. There are a few AF test videos on YouTube with the S5ii can Canon EF glass and it seems to perform quite well.

As an L Mount alliance member, Sigma has full access to the mount data which should ensure the best compatibility/performance.
I actually have the viltrox pro version as I have a few canon lens I’ll never get rid of, it’s OK on the sl2 but very slow.. suspect it’s because of the contrast detect AF

2.9kgs (S5 with 150-600) doesn't sound much but then with a backpack, spare stuff and the kitchen sink it sure all adds up 3-4 miles in. No idea how old you are but that combo demonstrated to me that I'm not as young as I used to be.

I’m thinking of switching from Canon R6 to S5M2, I have a few Canon EF lenses and was wondering if you tried an adapter and how it performed, Thanks
Ok so far so good, I received the loan gear on Thursday from lumixloans in the UK, I was loaned the
  1. Panasonic LUMIX S5II
  2. Sigma MC-21 EF-L
  3. Panasonic LUMIX 70-300 lens.

Here’s some test shots from the garden today, not top draw images but IQ and Colours are good IMO.
Lenses Tried :-

1. Canon EF 400mm f4 DO IS II USM with a Canon EF 1.4x MKIII Extender
  2. Canon EF 100-400mm L IS USM Mk II
  3. Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM II
All photos are shot with Canon 400mm F4 DO MKII with a 1.4x MKIII Extender, apart from the rig.

All worked well but not as snappy as the LUMIX glass, I was using AF-C, burst mode was a bit weird, Mechanical High Speed H was more like M, and with Electronic Shutter SH seemed like 30fps but H Electronic was more like M?
The bird eye AF was a bit hit and miss, not as sticky as my R6 MK1….

The camera did a good job with the High ISO images and with and extra 4mp the images cropped down well without loosing to much detail. Video is amazing of course.

Shot in RAW, processed in Lightroom, just crop and my adjustments, no sharpening or noise reduction.

P.S I’ve a few more days to test the S5II so the jury’s out till Tuesday, if there’s anything someone would like me to try please ask.IMG_8071.jpegS5M2_P1153273_11-05-22_EDIT.jpegIMG_0718.jpegIMG_0719.jpegIMG_0720.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
I caved and decided to swap out my Sigma 105mm Macro for the Lumix 100mm Macro and my God, it's floored me.

Image quality easily on par (possibly better in the corners) than the Sigma, less than half the size and weight and the Autofocus is quick enough to be used for general purpose photography. Even tested it with a moving dog and it performed as well as any of my other lenses.

I thought there may be a bit of overstating hype but there definitely isn't. Highly recommended.

Back