Nikon D750 Upgrade for Better Autofocus?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello. For several years I have used for bird photography a Nikon D750 with a Sigma 150-600 lens + Sigma 1.4 teleconverter. This gives me a good reach with, in the main, and with a bit of post processing, what I think are decent quality images. The only area where I have problems is when trying to capture flying birds, the problem being that whatever modes or settings I use the autofocus is slow to lock on - not always but quite frequently. This means that even with quite large birds by the time the camera locks on to the bird it has almost passed me by. I suspect the problem is due to a combination of the age of the camera technology and the physical limitations of a 900 mm lens and I am now starting to wonder I could upgrade to get faster autofocussing. I am probably reaching the time for an upgrade and would be open to any suggestions within a budget of £2k. Ideally I would like to stay with DSLR and Nikon as I have several other Nikon lenses but would consider other options if that would definitely provide significant improvement. I do like the 900mm focal length and would like to still have that facility or thereabouts. I would prefer to look round for good condition used equipment rather than brand new in order to maximise my budget.

Would you have any suggestions for equipment with better autofocussing for moving objects like birds?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I think you have reached peak Nikon DSLR development, and any upgrades to af will require a change of system. Sorry.

I'm not sure that changing the body and adapting that lens set up will help either.

Last edited:
Dont spend £2000, if definitely staying with DSLR and not mirrorless try a D500. You will be amazed at the difference.

A D500 and no teleconverter might speed the AF up a bit but a faster lens is probably the answer. Not sure your 2 grand will reach far enough though.

Using the Sigma 150-600 with TC is too ambitious for BIF. The TC slows down the AF.

whilst the D750 body is pretty good at AF, it’s not the fastest Nikon. As said above, the D500 is a lot better (based on personal experience). It should also allow use of the lens without TC. I’ve had some success with this combo (sport version of the lens - can’t comment on C version)..

you will definitely see an improved hit rate, but don’t expect miracles.

if you are really serious you need a z9 (orz8) with a fast prime

Look around for a Nikon D500 + Nikon 500 f4 + Nikon TC14iii (not ii) and you will see a vast difference - may have to look around to be near budget (though MPB have a 500 f4 with faulty VR, which you won't need if on tripod, for £1200+).

Thank you for your advice so far, it is much appreciated. I am going to do some further internet research but one answer might be to try a D500 as an interim measure and if that's no good persuade myself to up the budget for a radical upgrade, perhaps to a Sony system which seems to be common amongst other birders I have seen. Thanks again.

strange you mentioned about birds in flight. havings partially gone from Nikon the Panasonic with the G9 version I was looking at exactly the same issue and found the answer
this is one reason why I changed
video worth watching for your answer and she uses a 100-300 mm four thirds lens ( 600mm in FF). Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Camera with 12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica Lens Cost £1200 and well worth it. Having been a Nikon shooter since the D70s days through to the D810 times this panasonic knocks socks of the D810

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrirH9DMouY

kit lens at12mm
P1001221.JPG
digital x4 ( lens on60mm) a tremendous range from just a kit lens

P1001223.JPG

which is amazing on tripod same position so maybe no need for the lens she used

Last edited:
Back