posting Li Ion Batteries

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
how to send L ion batteries as the post office don’t seem to accept them unless they are in a device
advice appreciated thanks

All batteries seem now to be on the Royal Mail prohibited list...

Several commercial carriers will accept them but you need to check their rules carefully.

Last edited:
FWIW

I sold an Li Ion battery to a member here.

I had the original plastic case and & OEM box. When I presented at the PO counter, I was asked and told the assistant that it was a battery in the manufacturers packaging. She accepted the parcel but then stuck the "battery warning" label on it.

The recipient confirmed that it had arrived safely & sound. NB I sent it as "Signed For"

Last edited:
FWIW

I sold an Li Ion battery to a member here.

I had the original plastic case and & OEM box. When I presented at the PO counter, I was asked and told the assistant that it was a battery in the manufacturers packaging. She accepted the parcel but then stuck the "battery warning" label on it.

The recipient confirmed that it had arrived safely & sound. NB I sent it as "Signed For"
I've done the same - the Post Office destroyed the package and I had to refund the buyer. Luckily it was only £15 or so.

I think it might be pot luck as to whether it gets through or not. I suspect they can't x-ray every package and maybe I was just unlucky.

They are prohibited by most couriers these days so you just have to break the rules.

If you are posting to an address not to far away and you can be sure the parcel won’t be transported by air then you’ll probably get away with Royal Mail. It’s only when they go by air that they are xrayed and destroyed if found.

Also you can pick a courier that doesn’t use air freight like Yodel.

Please be sensible though, make sure it’s not fully charged and well packaged to avoid contact with anything metallic or physical damage.

How do you order batteries if they're not allowed to be posted??

When you buy a new camera a battery is included. How does this work?

There's a brief explanation of the rules here...

Last edited:
Back