Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

One problem that I have is that the camera seems to be applying -0.3EV to every shot!
I've checked tyhe settings and can't find anything in the menu that shows me having selected an exposure compensation ... any ideas what could be causing it?
I never saw anything saying you could change your EV default.

maybe try a factory reset????

That seems to have done it, now to get back to where I want! :oops: :$
Roger, The 'ADJ' left right lever thing at the top right of the camera controls the exposure compensation and it often gets accidentally nudged by my thumb where I find I'm on -0.3 or even -0.6EV. Could that have been happening with you?

Roger, The 'ADJ' left right lever thing at the top right of the camera controls the exposure compensation and it often gets accidentally nudged by my thumb where I find I'm on -0.3 or even -0.6EV. Could that have been happening with you?
I certainly have had that Lee but in this instance I have set it to 0.0 and switched it off, then when switching on again it's showing -0.3!
The reset seems to have cleared it (shame you can't do a complete factory reset) but I think I am going to stay on manual exposure with all options 'off' on the 'ADJ' button - using U1-U3 then seems to work okay for me.

I had a similar problem with my Nikon V1 and a little menu wheel that constantly got moved by accident. :(

I've never accidentally nudged my ADJ thingy, but the Fn button gets it sometimes! :help:

We need some 'off' settings! :cool:

I tend to always be handling the camera by the top right.

It’ll come, it’s very versatile. :)
Yes, no panic yet. I love the size - even smaller and more pocketable than my GM1 - and the quality of the output exceeds my m4/3 kit, so I'm happy. Just got to readjust to the 28mm focal length. I'm so used to long focal lengths - up to 300 - on my rural walks that this needs some brain recalibration. But the photographers whom I admire, the books I buy, what and how I aspire to shoot, and how I'm imagining my photography to progress... this fits much more closely - hence this purchase. It's just a bit more difficult to do than what I have been doing. I shall enjoy the journey without applying any pressure on myself for quick results!

Yes, no panic yet. I love the size - even smaller and more pocketable than my GM1 - and the quality of the output exceeds my m4/3 kit, so I'm happy. Just got to readjust to the 28mm focal length. I'm so used to long focal lengths - up to 300 - on my rural walks that this needs some brain recalibration. But the photographers whom I admire, the books I buy, what and how I aspire to shoot, and how I'm imagining my photography to progress... this fits much more closely - hence this purchase. It's just a bit more difficult to do than what I have been doing. I shall enjoy the journey without applying any pressure on myself for quick results!
I had much the same thoughts at first but I soon grew to love the difference as I 'opened up' the scene ... at the same time it is very discreet for closer opportunities. :)

After buying my GR3X, I may have experienced just a tinge of something approaching buyers remorse! It's so small & light, touchscreen very sensitive, think I'd rather have something a little bigger with a couple more Fn buttons (?) Then I found that the Fn button has many different uses, the video button can be set to another function, the ADJ lever does EV (I like) but also other stuff. The GR3X, at 40mm equiv, I find (possibly) easier than the wider version. What I'm used to is zooms: 24-100+ equiv. If I ever used a prime it would be a nifty fifty equiv, but that's rare and only really because it's fast. Now I like the camera much more than I did but I'm still stuck with a fixed focal length. But yeah make the most of that, the challenge, and remember they are big files, lots of MPs therefore lots of cropping possibilities.

:D

Had an hour and a half in town with the GRiii today. Still not getting the shots I'm imagining, but that's more because of me than the camera. I need to spend longer in town, and have a bit more courage to get in close. That said, I did get a few nice shots today, just not what I'm hoping for. Loving the camera, though, even though I've yet to even open the manual and learn about what it can really do! I'm starting to thoroughly enjoy the 28mm focal length, too.

Anyway, here's a few, and a few more will eventually find their way into my Gloucester Sharpness Canal project:

"Don't Cross on the Steps" - just me testing snap focus, and then afterwards being a bit silly with the saturation:

52688760046_5025798f25_c.jpg

This was another snap focus, test. Most of my snap focus shots were a lot more blurred than this one. I thought I had the shutter speed set to a minimum of 250 but I can't find my way back to the relevant menu to check. Might have to open the manual...

52689181950_53910d7b17_c.jpg

Reflections:

52688759966_852bfce941_c.jpg
|

And, lastly, a boat. I was - am - thinking of sticking with black and white for a period of time. But then I saw the blue and red together an couldn't resist:

52688759991_151cbb82ca_c.jpg

Actually, there's a bonus snap. I did that thing where the good street photographers advise you to find a place of interest and wait. I need to do this more. Here I was lucky enough to only have to wait a minute or two. I think they have CCTV here, anyway, so much longer and I might have generated some interest in what I was up to from the CCTV wardens:

52688759851_47cfafd02e_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Derek

Last edited:
Actually, addendum to the above. I have set the shutter speed to a minimum of 320, but the camera appears to ignore this if the other settings (Max ISO of 6400 and my chosen aperture) mean the image would be too dark. I need to investigate this further. Might mean I stick with manual (rather than AV) if this is going to happen, as I'd rather have a dark RAW image than a blurred one.

Loving #3 Derek, great use of B&W too. :)

Actually, addendum to the above. I have set the shutter speed to a minimum of 320, but the camera appears to ignore this if the other settings (Max ISO of 6400 and my chosen aperture) mean the image would be too dark. I need to investigate this further. Might mean I stick with manual (rather than AV) if this is going to happen, as I'd rather have a dark RAW image than a blurred one.
I found this too - I now use the 3 'boxes' U1-U3 and set them all to manual exposure as well as the specific settings they are chosen for (Mono, High Mono etc).
Don't do what I did today though, forget to check the shutter speed setting!

Tempted by this camera. Is there much difference with the GR II?

;)
SO the autofocus is improved on the v3. That will be enough of a reason as a good AF system is one of the things i want most on a camera.

I found this too - I now use the 3 'boxes' U1-U3 and set them all to manual exposure as well as the specific settings they are chosen for (Mono, High Mono etc).
Don't do what I did today though, forget to check the shutter speed setting!
It makes sense - if a camera is set to Aperture priority then it's going to do what it needs to to get the correct exposure. To be honest, I've never ever used anything but manual until now. Never been able to get on with any auto-settings. I thought I'd try with the GRiii, but I may well stick with (what I think is) the easier methodology.

As an aside, I'm wondering if the issue with the snap-focus test above was more to do with the distance rather than the shutter speed? The shutter speed was too slow - 1/80th (when I was relaxed thinking it was 1/320th minimum) but the snap focus distance was set to 3.5 metres, and I may have been closer to the fellow than this. Still, edging forward...

I'm wondering if the issue with the snap-focus test above was more to do with the distance rather than the shutter speed? The shutter speed was too slow - 1/80th (when I was relaxed thinking it was 1/320th minimum) but the snap focus distance was set to 3.5 metres, and I may have been closer to the fellow than this.
I tend to have it set at 2.5 metres and that works well in most instances ... slow shutter speed can kill it. :)

Had an hour and a half in town with the GRiii today. Still not getting the shots I'm imagining, but that's more because of me than the camera. I need to spend longer in town, and have a bit more courage to get in close.
Been watching YT vids by Faizal Westcott, Leica, Fuji & GR, he has an interesting way of shooting things up close and OOF to get BG subjects. I tried it last week ...

AMWts8CarFalUdS0oZqWYudVzZlm8y_7HjdonSSuNIU0B7PCyn6MApxZlLOIMzu776w-b8lP2fM484zH1qoaBMbW1uueX_st64iqdxbYAI_M7yv4-54zSMjRpEc2nN-ftCflGjESi4Lm13kHcPfdk0NEKYpFrg=w692-h590-no

Spent an hour and a half working through the manual this morning, or at least the bits relevant to me. Have now set up some basic settings - street / low light - on the user dial thingies. Had quite a few questions where the camera was doing unexpected things, not showing expected icons, and generally puzzling me. Almost all of these were instantly cured by turning AutoISO off, after which the camera was far more logical to me. I think I will be sticking to manual mode, though, with the snap focus feature mapped to the function button.

The 2 above were processed in DXO Photolab 5 (I think it is not the latest version but still good) which I'm finding better than Topaz Denoise for this type of image.

There's been some GR3 firmware updates recently, does anyone bother with them?

I remember asking about Nikon updates ten year ago, and the answer was: 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

There's been some GR3 firmware updates recently, does anyone bother with them?
I will if I haven't got them ... must check for a download link. :)

Yep updated from 1.61-1.71 ... now for some better quality photos! :LOL:

Last edited:
Back