Sheep etc.

I am not sure that either really go with the suggested title.
#2 has the use of the phone and the suggestion of the results going to the media. Equally he could just be googling something. The chap in the suit seems to be inattentive to what the other man is doing.
#1 has better ineraction between the characters. There is a real connection that they are both looking at some info.
For me #2 is a more interesting shot
That's my thinking too.

I struggled to get anything worthwhile that was Lonk related this time.

_7825035.jpg

_7825019.jpg

gys-lonks (15 of 57).jpg

gys-lonks (49 of 57).jpg

Breed champion went to Chris Brett, a staunch advocate for the breed and the traditions associated with it. This was his first GYS since his grandfather, the breed association's president died, which made it a special win for him. As Jim Scriven was judging there was no competition from his flock this year but their fleeces picked up the red ticket.

gys-lonks (55 of 57).jpg

The winning fleeces in the Lonk class.

_7825005.jpg

Three randoms.

Two fluffy sheep.

_7824947.jpg

_7824853.jpg

Rare to get such symetrical horns as on this Scottish Blackface tup, even rarer for a sheep to stare directly at you for long enough to take a few shots!

_7824884.jpg

A bit muddy at the Royal Lancashire Show today. I didn't get much sheep action. I took more shots of cattle and heavy horses. Tomorrow doesn't look too promising either with the weather forecast and a poor entry of Lonks. Plenty of Gritstones though.

_7813487.jpg

_7825189.jpg

There might be a few sheep to show later. Or not!

Here are some sheep pics.

Valais Blacknose were present in numbers. An increasingly popular 'fancy' breed.

_7813502.jpg

Jacob on the loose!

_7825271.jpg

Suffolks.

_7813523.jpg

_7813527.jpg

Border Leicesters and bored child.

_7825211.jpg

Pro sheep photographer.

_7825334.jpg

My horse and cattle photos are no better or more interesting...

it was even wetter today. So much so that I stayed undercover most of the time, which limited my opportunities. I did get some 'snaps'.

_7813685.jpg

It was too boggy for some to try backing their trailers up to the pens, so they resorted to walking their sheep in.

Lots of Hebrideans to be seen as it was the breed society's national show.

_7813691.jpg

They're lively little sheep and this one evaded capture for some time!

_7813682.jpg

A grumpy Portland.

_7813665.jpg

Quite a few of the primitive breeds on show. In this case a couple of Shetlands, and a distant Manx Loaghtan - another breed having it's annual show at the Royal Lancashire.

_7813677.jpg

A Cheviot having a facial.

_7813710.jpg

It was a frustrating couple of days because of the rain. One reason being that I used my two 'best' lenses rather than my two 'most useful' ones, simply because they have better weather sealing. It's almost the only reason I haven't got rid of them. I even shot one wide open - the way most people seem to use it - but couldn't see the advantage! The best part of it all (apart from the banter) was the parking pass for the livestock area which meant that I got to drive in on a tarmac track and park on firm ground close to the sheep pens. If I'd had to use the public car park (a field) with the walk that entails, and having to carry my bag with food and drink around I'd have stayed at home. As it was I left all the junk in the car and carried only the cameras and a small bottle of water.

Going through the rest of today's shots I found one or two Lonk and Gritstone ones that aren't too bad.

Lonks.

_7813783.jpg

_7825345.jpg

_7825346.jpg

Synchronised head scratching?
_7813753.jpg

I ventured into the open for a few minutes with the Grits.

_7813808.jpg

_7825368.jpg

It was certainly a thoroughly wet day. I had to drive over to Whitwell with our grandchildren. I don't think that they had ever driven through clouds before:D
Wasn't the Royal Lancs moved from Ribchester a few years ago because of the propensity of the showground to become boggy, or was there another reason.

It was certainly a thoroughly wet day. I had to drive over to Whitwell with our grandchildren. I don't think that they had ever driven through clouds before:D
Wasn't the Royal Lancs moved from Ribchester a few years ago because of the propensity of the showground to become boggy, or was there another reason.
I heard on the radio there were 100mm of rain in Preston on Sunday!

I don't think the show was moved. It stopped being held for some years and there was a bit of scandal about all the trophies being sold off. It restarted in 2018.

Sheep in the city!

The Rare Breeds Survival Trust is in Preston today with the Foundation for Common Land. It was a bit windy so they took the gazebo down as they were undercover anyway.

_7813851.jpg

Preston has a lamb on its coat of arms.

_7813907.jpg

A pity they didn't have Lonks (mentioned as 'The Old Lancashire sheep' in one old report I've researched) on show, but Woodlands are a rarer breed.

_7813901.jpg

Lonks would probably have escaped in any case!

_7813908.jpg

The Lamb and Packet was lively student pub when I was at the then Poly in 1978/9. It looks closed now despite being right by the main UCLAN campus.

_7813916.jpg

Last edited:
Bosses at the University of Central Lancashire say they are still considering what to do with their latest property acquisition in the city centre.

One thing is certain – it will not re-open as a pub after more than 200 years serving ale at the top of Friargate.

Looks like they still haven’t decided, probably more research needed :LOL:
I guess it's still a bit soon for a decision seeing that article is from 2017. :D

Looking around the town (I can't take it seriously calling it a city) I'm surprised the pub hasn't been repurposed as student accommodation. That looks to be the main industry these days!

I guess it's still a bit soon for a decision seeing that article is from 2017. :D

Looking around the town (I can't take it seriously calling it a city) I'm surprised the pub hasn't been repurposed as student accommodation. That looks to be the main industry these days!
Yes, I realised it was old. The other references that turn up are the discovery of bodies in the cellar the year before which might be a factor in its closing.

I had an afternoon walk along the marsh bank yesterday because teh weather forecast was for no rain. The forecast was wrong. This is the drizzle shower approaching added to my 'sheepscape' collection.
o.jpg

Still trying to get a decent picture of the handling pens.

_7813924.jpg

I have no idea why the sheep came in along the bank en masse. I checked the high tide time later and it was on the ebb. There was nobody driving them back. Sheep being sheep I suppose.

_7825418-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Another lovely wet Lancashire day today. I'd been in two minds all week about going to Garstang Show. As it turned out the rain wasn't as bad as it had been forecast earlier in the week so I went along. The parking was another matter with signs leading to afield in the back of beyond that entailed a half mile walk to the showfield. I was there early and the car before me got bogged down. I managed OK. You can see the back of my car behind the 4x4. I only have 'toy' 4WD but a bit of an idea about driving in fields! When I was leaving another car was stuck in the same place. A lot of folk were parking along the lane. The annoying thing is the usual car park next to the showfield was available to visitors and not just the exhibitors and judges like the signs said. V annoyed.

_7825473.jpg

The sheep pens were a bit frustrating too. A lot of them were covered over with tarpaulins and suchlike to keep the sheep dry. Although I was fairly early I was too late to see any arrivals or sheep preparation. The judging was all I'd get to photograph. Apart from some nonsense shots like this Dalesbred with a combover.

_7813940.jpg.

Shepherd fashion.

_7825535.jpg

Nosey Jacob.

_7825521.jpg

As always I spent most of my time with the Lonks, photographing the judging and listening to Lonk talk.

It's great to see younger generations involved.

_7813956.jpg

_7813952.jpg

TBC

While I've got my whinging head on... :LOL:

As I was expecting heavy rain I once again took along my 'pro' lenses for the weather resistance they are supposed to have. The main advantage hey have in rain is that there are no telescoping parts open to the elements. Although I can't fault them on technical grounds I really dont understand why a 24-70 and 70-200 pairing is so universal, and so popular. I find it really annoying. In the tight space of the pens 24mm is often a bit tight. The worst thing, for me, is the uselessness of the 70-200. It's not a bot focal range, in fact it could be really useful. If only the bloody thing would focus closer!

It's hopeless for detail shots of things like a sheep's eye, at minimum focus distance it's not getting the eye large enough. It's lovely and sharp but too small. The 24-70 would get close enough. But only if the sheep was dead! It drives me nuts. This is why I prefer zooms that cover a bit more focal length range and focus closer. So what if they aren't f2.8 and constant aperture? I try to stick with f5.6 in any case. And even kit lenses are sharp enough. Hey ho. Here's hoping for more dry shows when I can use my preferred pair of lenses without fear of them filling with water. 17-35 and 35-150 suits me fine, and the longer one gets nice and close too.

Anyway. Some picture talk. I snatched a couple of snaps of the Lonk Champion and Reserve. Just for the record really. But one of them stood out for me, purely by chance. It's not the best 'prize winners' shot but there's a small detail which isn't initially apparent that I really like.

_7825592.jpg

It's a picture within a picture. More so if you know the lady in the background is grandma. I'm getting sentimental in my old age!

_7825592-2.jpg

A new show for me today. Halifax. This show is held on park that is usually used for ball games - it brings the country into the town.

_7813993.jpg

Not a huge sheep section, but big enough and with classes for the local breeds. Gritstones and Lonks, of course, and a big turnout of Whitefaced Woodlands.

_7825736.jpg

_7825758.jpg

_7825892.jpg

_7814022.jpg

_7814041.jpg

More...

Plenty of signs letting visitors know what's what and when things are scheduled to take place.

_7825730.jpg

The inevitable Lonk pictures...

_7813977.jpg

_7814038.jpg

With a Woodiy.

_7825759.jpg

John Eggleton talking sheep, Gritsones in particular, to non-sheep folk.

_7825906.jpg

For the Supreme Champion and Overall Lamb prizes the sheep were taken out o the pens and the public could get a closer look. Or feel!

_7825917.jpg

If I don't sleep through the alarm it's Trawden tomorrow. I must be mad. Although I know a Blue Texel exhibitor (who took home the Supreme Champion trophy today) will also be there. :D

Not being very sociable I've been a late entrant to Facebook. It has it's pluses and minuses. I know that the posting of photos on FB and their easy and widespread 'theft' is unpopular on TP. Which is why I mostly post what I consider to be snaps and pictures I know will be 'crowd pleasures' for my livestock owning 'friends'. I keep teh more 'arty' shots I put up here off FB!

The plusses of this have been a few unsolicited sales, and free entry to shows. Today I arrived at Trawden before the ticket sellers had arrived. I sneaked past a steward while he was distracted intending to go back later and pay. Recounting this tale to one of the early arrivals who was washing her sheep she offered me one of the extra wristbands she'd got for entering so many animals. So I was legit - and guilt free!

One of the minuses is that I seem to have become the official photographer of the winners. Which is pressure I can live without! Having watched long-time sheep photographers spending ages arranging the sheep I know I lack both the patience and the expertise. Examples below!

_7814107.jpg_7826117.jpg

I don't know how event photographers sort through masses of shots and turn them round in short time. I can't even face culling the rubbish until the day after a show.

Some general pictures from Trawden yesterday.

Something about the colours drew me to this one.

_7825997.jpg

All about the eyes/gazes.

_7826150.jpg

Lots of trophies to be handed out.

_7814138.jpg

I had to take this as it was her mum who gave me the wristband! Young Shepherd (under ten) winner. She'd been practicing walking her sheep all week.

_7826170.jpg

'Living fleeces' seem to be increasingly evident at shows. Full fleece rugs that aren't sheepskins. I've not had a look at the back of them yet, but apparently they are felted. You get one a year from each sheep.

_7826131.jpg

Rare breed wool is another 'thing' in the crafting/yarn world. If these kind of ventures can get a better return for sheep breeders' wool clip than what the wool board pays it has to be a good thing.

_7826129.jpg

In #4 I see a similarity of expression (eyes) twixt girl and yowe … maybe?

Major panic while editing my photos from yesterday. I could only find a handful of Lonk pictures and none of the judging after keywording in LR. After much head scratching I noticed I'd used a full stop instead of a comma in some keyword lists, so 'lonk' wasn't being picked up. Huge sigh of relief! Not that there was much of artistic merit to be found...

However, there had been a goodly turnout of both Lonks and Gritstones with both having classes of eleven sheep, and first time exhibitors as well as the return of a couple of stalwarts.

I'll start with Grits.

Have I overused the 'texture' slider?

_7826035.jpg

Probably best there's no sound on still photographs!

_7826037.jpg

_7826058.jpg

_7826062.jpg

_7814094.jpg

I've been missing focus a bit this weekend. Not sure if it's me or the gear. I suspect the former. It usually is.

_7826071.jpg

Last edited:
Lonk time.

Nice idea but not quite hit the mark. Something to try again.

_7826089.jpg

_7826017.jpg

Snapshot.

_7826019.jpg

That blasted wide angle distortion.

_7814123.jpg

_7826101.jpg

Trawden concludes with Interbreed Pair of Lambs - hill breed, Pair of Lambs -lowland breed, then Interbreed group of three (below), and finally Interbreed Supreme Champion. It makes for a long day.

_7814133.jpg

The madness continues tomorrow at a small, sheep only, show. I feel like I'm getting stale and a bit lazy so am going to try to make more of an effort.

A great couple of sets. My personal favourites are the first two, especially the three guys.

I don't feel you've overdone the texture at all.

Have you tried conversion to B&W and pumped up the contrast - I think some might work well.

A great couple of sets. My personal favourites are the first two, especially the three guys.

I don't feel you've overdone the texture at all.
Thanks.
Have you tried conversion to B&W and pumped up the contrast - I think some might work well.
That's my bête noire! :LOL:

But I do try it now and then...

_7824122.jpg

_7825058.jpg

The madness continues tomorrow at a small, sheep only, show. I feel like I'm getting stale and a bit lazy so am going to try to make more of an effort.
I'm not sure I did make the effort. But I had a good time. Photos tomorrow. I'm all Lonked out!

More lessons learned yesterday. Firstly the cheap lens I used for some shots is prone to bad flare (see above) - losing the lens hood won't have helped. Secondly I find 100-400mm more useful than the ubiquitous (but useless) 70-200mm. This latter approach resulted in some half decent pictures - both long-shots and close ups.

Looking through my shots I did do something different. I dragged myself away from the Lonks for a lot of the time.

Herdwick.
_7826394.jpg

Teeswater
_7826372.jpg

It was not all telephoto stuff.

Dalesbred
_7814181.jpg

Masham
_7814200.jpg

There were Lonks.
_7826210.jpg

Although at this show the class they are entered in is called Country Bred. Country Bred sheep are Lonks crossed with Dalesbred or Scottish Blackface, but the cross is not so common these days and tends not to be shown at the shows which they used to go to - Hodder Valley has a Lonk and Lonk Cross class, and Bentham a Black-Faced class both of which are effectively Lonk classes today.

_7826292.jpg

Last edited:
I can never look at thos horns “end on” without thinking of ammonites. I wonder if they follow the same geometric rule?

It's possible. Could fractals be involved? I think they are with spirals of sunflower seeds.

It‘s a Fibonacci seties for most things, flowers etc.Aquicck google gives lots of references saying rams horno are, eg:

Actually I thought it might be confusing as I think there are snails called “ramshorn”.

Back