Short trip insurance

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
This did not get any replies in the insurance sticky. So put it out here

Can any one recommend a company to just do short overseas cover, just for the camera equipment. My usual travel insurance only covers up to £250, with expanded cover up to £500.

Can't you add to your home insurance for your photographic gear?

Last edited:
One of the nice things about TP is how members help each other out.

I’d check your household insurance doesn’t have a limit on the value of items covered when out and about. I know ours does although I couldn’t tell you offhand how much, only that I know it wasn’t enough to cover my camera gear :)

Yes high value items such as camera equipment sometimes needs to be listed explicitly for cover - worth checking

I’d check your household insurance doesn’t have a limit on the value of items covered when out and about. I know ours does although I couldn’t tell you offhand how much, only that I know it wasn’t enough to cover my camera gear :)

Yes high value items such as camera equipment sometimes needs to be listed explicitly for cover - worth checking

And whether such household insurance cover for camera gear includes both UK and global destinations. Plus if so are there any caveats/exclusions to accounted for?

My all risks cover included camera gear

unless used outside of the house - as I found out when my tripod got blown over

:-(

I am with Admiral, I have checked and am covered for up to £1000 per item as standard and with global cover. Lucky each item is under £1000, body & lenses counted seperatly

I found that adding expensive items to household insurance is not usually cost effective as individual items -- often above £500 -- need to be listed separately and an expensive DSLR and lens would have to be listed as separate items and the cost starts to mount. I'm with Eversure, it cost me £89 for up to £4000 of cover in the UK. You can add overseas cover for different periods of time but I can't say how much that would cost as I didn't take it out, I suspect it's not that much if you only want it for a limited period.

I am with Admiral, I have checked and am covered for up to £1000 per item as standard and with global cover. Lucky each item is under £1000, body & lenses counted seperatly
I queried this when I renewed my insurance and was told that a camera and lens would be counted as a single item in the same way a set of golf clubs would count as a single item rather than individual clubs.
Edit… in my case it was with NFU Mutual

Last edited:
I queried this when I renewed my insurance and was told that a camera and lens would be counted as a single item in the same way a set of golf clubs would count as a single item rather than individual clubs.
Edit… in my case it was with NFU Mutual
When we renewed this year I tried to do as a high value item, but they said it was ok as all the individual bits were under £1000 each

Back