weekly SimonB 52 for 2023 - Weeks 50, 51 and 52!

Went out for a cold and windy walk this morning with the intention of getting a picture from the local beach. I spotted a rather grumpy-looking Seagull watching the local dogs running along the shore. I would have liked a closer image of the bird's head but the zoom was not enough.

Grumpy Bird
by Simon Brown

It was a busy morning as the picture shows that every man and his dog was out!

Busy Morning
by Simon Brown

Both are good shots, I think I prefer the second though. It's the windfarm in the background that caught my eye.

No1 for me of the big beastie Great black-backed gull. Fascinating birds and more like a Raptor than a gull. They pair for life. We had a nesting pair here last summer that raised two chicks mainly on smaller gull and moorhen chicks!

A nice pair of shots. Personally I prefer #2, it has more life.

I like both and I agree the seagull would look better if it was bigger.
The second picture captures more interest with all the dogs and people and as mentioned the wind turbines in the background.

Good shots Simon. 1st one for me. Nicely composed

I’m with Wornish, the windfarms looming through add great character

I like the second, love a busy sandy beach in the winter - full of "every 'man' and their dog".

2nd one has more life and tells the cold and windy story better IMO.

I like the first shot, the seagull is nicely isolated with a good use of negative space, I might of gone even wider. Any image that makes a Seagull interesting has got to be good!

Both are good shots, I think I prefer the second though. It's the windfarm in the background that caught my eye.

Thanks, I had that seagull shot in mind the quick snapped worked out nicely too!

No1 for me of the big beastie Great black-backed gull. Fascinating birds and more like a Raptor than a gull. They pair for life. We had a nesting pair here last summer that raised two chicks mainly on smaller gull and moorhen chicks!

Thanks, I always think they look a bit evil! I didn't know that they paired for life (y)

A nice pair of shots. Personally I prefer #2, it has more life.

Thanks! I agree there is a lot more going on in the second pic.

I like both and I agree the seagull would look better if it was bigger.
The second picture captures more interest with all the dogs and people and as mentioned the wind turbines in the background.

Thanks, it must be time for a bigger zoom lens!

Both good for the theme I don’t have a preference

Thanks Allan (y)

Good shots Simon. 1st one for me. Nicely composed

Thanks very much! I just wish it was sightly closer!

I’m with Wornish, the windfarms looming through add great character

Number two does have more action about it, I'm pleased with both!

Number 2 for me as well, much more interesting scene

Cheers!

I like the second, love a busy sandy beach in the winter - full of "every 'man' and their dog".

Cheers! They were everywhere!

2nd one has more life and tells the cold and windy story better IMO.

The weather turned not long after that picture too, rain rain rain.

I like the first shot, the seagull is nicely isolated with a good use of negative space, I might of gone even wider. Any image that makes a Seagull interesting has got to be good!

Thanks very much for your feedback, I didn't think about going wider.

Both good images for the theme. I prefer #2 as well - it tells more of a "story" about your area.

Disagree with the 'bigger seagull' idea, I think it is fine as it is. Seagulls are so commonplace it's difficult to get a picture of one that is different but this is a good effort.

PS Seagulls always look grumpy, always. Nasty bloody things really, always chasing the buzzards in my garden area.

Two good shots, Simon, and I like both. The first one reminds me of our local beach on a windy day with the sandy-coloured sea, and I like the way the gull is paddling - you don't often see that. I like the receding scenery and people in the second one, and the wind farm catches my eye too. Good luck with your third 52!

Great set Simon, I like both images.

Thanks!

Both good images for the theme. I prefer #2 as well - it tells more of a "story" about your area.

Yep more action in picture number two. (y)

Disagree with the 'bigger seagull' idea, I think it is fine as it is. Seagulls are so commonplace it's difficult to get a picture of one that is different but this is a good effort.

PS Seagulls always look grumpy, always. Nasty bloody things really, always chasing the buzzards in my garden area.

Ha glad you agree, grumpy buggers that always demand a chip from your lunch!

Two good shots, Simon, and I like both. The first one reminds me of our local beach on a windy day with the sandy-coloured sea, and I like the way the gull is paddling - you don't often see that. I like the receding scenery and people in the second one, and the wind farm catches my eye too. Good luck with your third 52!

Thanks for your comments!

This is a book that I'm currently reading which was given to me at Christmas. I haven't quite completed it yet but I'm nearly there! I used the macro lens which always creates a challenge for me to get the right settings for the shot, good to test the mind.

Incomplete Book
by Simon Brown

Yep that works nicley :)

“That’s a big book you got there Al”…. And it fits the theme very well.

Great choice Simon, well exposed and composed. Trying to read what's on your "bookmark" but it's either your DOF or my eyes...probably my eyes... :D

So simple, and yet so good. Great interpretation of the theme, and lovely composition!

Yep that works nicley :)

Cheers!

“That’s a big book you got there Al”…. And it fits the theme very well.

Finished it not long after!

Works well for the theme

Thank you

Great choice Simon, well exposed and composed. Trying to read what's on your "bookmark" but it's either your DOF or my eyes...probably my eyes... :D

Not your eyes ha, it’s a parking ticket receipt. It was the closest thing to me to be promoted to bookmark.

Nice.

Lovely tight crop/comp and the colouring is good too.

Thanks I had tried a few different angles.

Looks like a lot of reading there, Simon. Nice composition and is well-lit. The crop ratio works perfectly too.

Thank you, on to the next book now.

Yup. Very clever and well shot.

Thank you!

So simple, and yet so good. Great interpretation of the theme, and lovely composition!

Thanks Simon!

Hello Simon. Works well for the theme, and interesting angle and composition.

May I ask about settings? f/22, 2 seconds and ISO 400? Presumably on a tripod... so why not base ISO and slightly smaller aperture? :)

A nice close up image there and a clever take on the theme. I like it

Nicely lit and composed. Well done on getting that far since Christmas too... I've got too many of those by my bedside!

Great idea for this weeks theme.

Hello Simon. Works well for the theme, and interesting angle and composition.

May I ask about settings? f/22, 2 seconds and ISO 400? Presumably on a tripod... so why not base ISO and slightly smaller aperture? :)

Hey, I was just playing around with the settings until I had the picture how I wanted it.

I'm not familiar with the term base ISO, I presume that's the lowest ISO setting on my camera? The lighting in the room at the time wasn't the best therefore I bumped up the ISO to help out a bit. Yep, the camera was on a tripod, this gave me the chance to play around with the settings once the book was framed where I wanted it. :) (y)

Lovely idea for the theme and well framed close up.

Cheers!

A nice close up image there and a clever take on the theme. I like it

Thanks very much!

Nicely lit and composed. Well done on getting that far since Christmas too... I've got too many of those by my bedside!

It is easy to get carried away, isn't it?! The book is Matthew Perry's autobiography in which he talks about his addictions and acting career.

Great idea for this weeks theme.

Thanks!

It was another trip to the beach this week to see a local sculpture called Another Place by Antony Gormley, known locally as the Crosby Men. There are 100 cast iron life-size figures along the length of the beach which I thought would fit nicely for the artificial theme. I had intended to use the picture of me looking at them to tick the technique for juxtaposition but I felt the picture looking towards Seaforth docks made for a more dramatic especially given how the light was shining through and reflecting off the sea.

Two men
by Simon Brown

Crosby Man
by Simon Brown

It certainly ticks the theme, and I think you chose the right image.

Yep good choice - I've toggeg them many times!

A pal of mine who isnlt a fan calles them "Legalised scrap litter" :LOL:

Lovely shot and although I've seen pictures of the sculptures quite a few times I wouldn't have realised it wasn't a real person it it wasn't for this weeks theme,
Great exposure, nice tones and your composition with the sculpture silhouette in the suns reflection really completes it.

Hey, I was just playing around with the settings until I had the picture how I wanted it.

I'm not familiar with the term base ISO, I presume that's the lowest ISO setting on my camera? The lighting in the room at the time wasn't the best therefore I bumped up the ISO to help out a bit. Yep, the camera was on a tripod, this gave me the chance to play around with the settings once the book was framed where I wanted it. :) (y)

Base ISO, Yes, I meant the lowest it would go. I think that if the scene si static, and you're on a tripod then shutter speed is irrelevant, so would lower ISO as far as possible.
TBH I've not kept up with camera tech and noise is probably a thing of the past with modern kit. :D

ARTIFICIAL - perfect shot, and it fits ther theme. I think your own critique of the two images is spot on. The position of the figure in the light is great. Nicely done.

Back