Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

Another wander round the woods at Contin.

There's a nice marked trail but slightly hidden away is Loch na Crann.

Loch na Crann and the old boathouse

Loch na Crann with a swan and lot of water lillies

Since the RX is so small it fits nicely in the rather small side pockets of my purple rucksack. And anything purple is cool, right...
Pocketsize Bear came out for a walk too.
View Rock amongst the trees

Very nice set of landscape style captures Beth, particularly liking #1.

I recently got an RX100M7 and very pleased with it, I am.
One thing that I notice on this thread - I see a lot of people posting up B&W images, do you shoot in B&W or do you remove colour in post-processing?

One thing that I notice on this thread - I see a lot of people posting up B&W images, do you shoot in B&W or do you remove colour in post-processing?
It is normally a good idea to shoot in colour and convert to B&W. If you have an editing program that has good B&W conversion options. ;)

If all you are going to do is remove colour when changing to B&W, it's 50-50 whether you want that extra step after the fact.

If you shoot RAW, you can set the camera to B&W, so as to aid composition when taking the image, but still have control over the underlying colours during processing to B&W, to get different effects.

Changing the brightness of blue sky's during B&W conversion can give darker, more dramatic sky's and simulating putting an orange filter on the lens with B&W film, which darkened what was blue in the final B&W image. You can have that flexibility with more than on underlying colour. Darken the blues, lighten the greens etc.

It is normally a good idea to shoot in colour and convert to B&W. If you have an editing program that has good B&W conversion options. ;)

If all you are going to do is remove colour when changing to B&W, it's 50-50 whether you want that extra step after the fact.

If you shoot RAW, you can set the camera to B&W, so as to aid composition when taking the image, but still have control over the underlying colours during processing to B&W, to get different effects.

Changing the brightness of blue sky's during B&W conversion can give darker, more dramatic sky's and simulating putting an orange filter on the lens with B&W film, which darkened what was blue in the final B&W image. You can have that flexibility with more than on underlying colour. Darken the blues, lighten the greens etc.
Thank you, those are some excellent pointers and suggestions.

I always shoot raw and convert to mono after, not all shots lend themselves to mono so that method works great for me.

I always shoot raw and convert to mono after, not all shots lend themselves to mono so that method works great for me.
Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts. My natural inclination is to shoot raw and then process or convert as required. This would give maximum flexibility.

I work pretty much only in black & white but like others I snap everything in colour RAW and convert manually in post processing.

I haven't used my RX100M7 for a while now but I always shot in raw plus black and white, or raw plus a colour jpeg. The jpegs from this camera are good enough to use as-is if the settings match the conditions. And the raw is there if I get it wrong.

Summer on the Beach, Aberdeen style.
Note the woman with hood up and gloves to fight off the biting winds coming off the North Sea.
Truth be told, it wasn't that bad as it was actually quite warm that day.
Sony RX100vii

Summer, Aberdeen Beach by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

That's another very nice landscape/seascape style capture Mike, with some good colour & detail and a pleasant sky.

I recently bought an RX100 to accompany me on my daily-ish walks around the nature reserve near my house. My iPhone was OK but after a while I found myself wanting a zoom lens as well as the ability to make decent A3 prints. My Canon G1X III is great but won't fit in a pocket unless you're wearing a coat, so I part exchanged an unused lens for a second hand RX100 at Ffordes.
I did have an RX10 for a while but never really got on with how it worked, but I'm very happy with the RX100 despite it having fundamentally the same menu system and sensor. And it fits in my back pocket.
So here's a few monochrome snaps from my daily walks. All processed in Lightroom, some have been run through 'Enhance' which has made a difference to the noise and sharpness (although this maybe only visible when viewed on a full resolution image). And the changeable weather we've been having in July and August has certainly made for some interesting skies over this part of Lancashire!

DSC00036-Edit.jpgDSC00062-Enhanced-NR.jpgDSC00274-Enhanced-NR.jpg

For any RX100M7 users, or potential RX100M7 users, I posted a thread last week comparing the a Nikon D500 and 70-300mm with the M7, taking pics of Cricket in a local park. You can see the thread if you are interested here.

After getting the RX100M7 I wanted to compare the two systems with the same subject. They are both 20Mp sensors, though the D500 sensor is APS-C, and quite a bit larger. The M7 maximum focal length is 200mm, while the lens I used with the D500 was 300mm at it maximum. The Nikon does 10fps, and the Sony 20fps, though can do 60fps for 7 frames. The D500's AF is arguably the pinnacle of DSLR AF, for the cropped sensor DSLR at least, but I think the AF on the M7 is better.

The final images were both close, and not at the same time. Unsurprisingly the Nikon has the ultimate image quality, but the M7 is not that far off imho. Good enough for me. I think a mid focal length subject zoomed to the same magnification would be even closer still. That is something I'll have to try soon.

Hi all, so it's nearly 2 years since I sold all my camera lenses etc (olympus M4/3) and only using the iphone and I've been happy to a point, but Ive realised Ive been missing a real camera and after lots of research and a handily timed thread by another member of TP, have just bought a RX100vii! So hope to be contributing to the thread soon.

However can I ask what straps people are using for their RX's? My go to was always the peak design leash / cuff but wonder if there's anything better out there nearly 2 years on?

(Already also bought the AG R2 grip)

Landscape from me for a change, this is a shot of St Hubert, a Saxon/Norman church built in the 10th century and mentioned in the doomsday book. It can be found in Idsworth in Hampshire.
Taken with the RX100 vii.

Idsworth Church by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Very nice landscape style capture Alby, well composed with some lovely light.

Hi all, so it's nearly 2 years since I sold all my camera lenses etc (olympus M4/3) and only using the iphone and I've been happy to a point, but Ive realised Ive been missing a real camera and after lots of research and a handily timed thread by another member of TP, have just bought a RX100vii! So hope to be contributing to the thread soon.

However can I ask what straps people are using for their RX's? My go to was always the peak design leash / cuff but wonder if there's anything better out there nearly 2 years on?

That grip makes the little camera much more comfortable to hold Paul, good shout ;)

I'm using a Cordweaver Cordy with an OP/Tech Mini QD Loop. You could use the supplied strap adapters but I found it was a bit tight squeezing the strap through the metal plate and didn't want to risk damaging it.

Last edited:
Think I'll definitely get a PD Leash strap, not sure still about the wrist ones tbh but will continue to mull that over.
Ive ordered a new sd card, screen protector and already bought and fitted the AGR2 grip, that really transformed the feel. Of course Im in the middle of nights and all Ive done is charged the battery, the cameras just looking at me teasing me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now 2 other questions for ye.
1. Whats the recommended 3rd party batteries / charger ye all use?

2. Possibly a bit specific to me, I want a small bag to protect it, I will be keeping it in my raincoat pocket (large) in inclement weather but also have my Roka backpack so think I want a small simple drawstring type bag to put it in when it's in the backpack? I dont want one of those little "proper" camera bags eg https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/lowepro-apex-5-aw-artic-blue/ I really dislike these for some reason.

thanks in advance for any thoughts / suggestions, Im planning to use my next day off (tuesday) to go out and play with it to familiarise myself with it "in the field". (y)

Think I'll definitely get a PD Leash strap, not sure still about the wrist ones tbh but will continue to mull that over.
Ive ordered a new sd card, screen protector and already bought and fitted the AGR2 grip, that really transformed the feel. Of course Im in the middle of nights and all Ive done is charged the battery, the cameras just looking at me teasing me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now 2 other questions for ye.
1. Whats the recommended 3rd party batteries / charger ye all use?

2. Possibly a bit specific to me, I want a small bag to protect it, I will be keeping it in my raincoat pocket (large) in inclement weather but also have my Roka backpack so think I want a small simple drawstring type bag to put it in when it's in the backpack? I dont want one of those little "proper" camera bags eg https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/lowepro-apex-5-aw-artic-blue/ I really dislike these for some reason.

thanks in advance for any thoughts / suggestions, Im planning to use my next day off (tuesday) to go out and play with it to familiarise myself with it "in the field". (y)
I bought apan Amazon Basics bag - search for

Amazon Basics Case for Compact Cameras, Large, Black, Solid

less than £12. Fits my RX100vi perfectly with room for spare batteries and SD cards. Ideal.

I also use the big standard wrist strap. Works for me.

I use a Cullmann Malaga compact 400. it has an internal pocket and a zipped pocket on the front, belt attachable or shoulder strap. Perfect for the little sony I think.

nearly there, PD Leash has arrived (God I forgot how lovely PD stuff is!), got the glass screen protector on (first time and no bubbles :) ), an amazon battery charger with three batteries (should keep me happy for a while!)

Not had a chance to play properly yet, but off to Lytham at the weekend so hoping for a few shots then :)

Back from a weekend in Lytham and playing with the new camera. A little fiddly at times and need to set up the My Menu section to be able to make it easier to access the common interactions.
Sunset by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

So, another question, this time about using the camera on a tripod if I want to try some longer exposure / low light stuff.
Ive still got my tripod which is an arca swiss setup and a normal size plate would be bulky to say the least, just wondered if anyone knew of a slim arca swiss plate at all?

I was almost thinking about the smallrig grip which looked like an L bracket in the hope that its base was arca swiss compatible but I dont think it is.

Failing finding a suitable one I guess i'd have to just use a normal one and only use it when I bother to take the tripod out.

Back