Beginner Sony video camera "washed out" parts of image question.

Edit My Images
Yes
Newbie alert, plus I hope video camera questions come under the remit of this / these forums?

I have a Sony FDR-AX700 "Handycam" set up outside on a wall mount. It feeds to the house over an HDMI cable, but I think these facts are irrelevant to my issue. On the left of the captured still (that I am hoping to attach) the satellite dish looks "washed out" and the bright red Andrew logo almost disappears.

With the camera mounted elsewhere I don't get this effect. I think the sun on the near white dish is somehow overwhelming the sensor? Can this be rectified by camera adjustments, and if so what do I need to try adjusting please?

Thanks, as you can no doubt tell, I am very much a newbie with this sort of thing....

The first image is from a still camera, but shows what the dish looks like in a different light, from a different perspective.

The second is a clip from the video camera footage.

new-dish.jpg

camera-settings.jpg

I messed up the still camera image, or mistook what the different ways of attaching mean to a new poster, rules wise!

Hopefully this works, with my apologies.

Attachments

• new-dish.jpg
    new-dish.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 6
It's about the dynamic range in the scene, you may be able to change the exposure, either in camera or in post, but the simple truth is that if you'd photographed the first scene with the same exposure value as the still image, then you'd have lost detail in the dogs.

You might be able to do something local in the software you're using or the camera, but you might decide it's more bother than it's worth.

Thank you Phil V, much appreciated, I'll have a fiddle with the (myriad of) settings but as you say, for the usage it has at the moment it may be time wasted. I am trying to find my way around all the setting options for when I give the thing a more hands on usage than having it on a wall mount in good weather ;)

All the best, thanks again.

Back