Sycamore Gap Tree

Are we the public allowed to know who they are ? or are they being protected.
Given the publicity around this case, what chance is there of a fair trial if they’re named pre trial.

Reading recent comments I genuinely despair of the levels of comprehension of how our justice system should and does work.

Edit
It appears I was reacting to an inaccurate post, they have been named and I was guessing at a reason they may not have been.

Last edited:
I fail to see how being named will affect the trial the jury listen to the evidence presented linking them to the act, and it would be on that basis a conviction would be obtained.

I'm not joking, I fail to understand the relevance of your being a member and I cannot be responsible for your comprehension or otherwise of my English.

While all vandalism is to be deplored, it's a Sycamore. If they hadn't dug out the root, it would have grown back in a few years.
One of only a handful of posts by Andrew I’ve ever agreed with.

We need some perspective here; it’s vandalism, they’re off to magistrates court, highly unlikely to see the inside of a crown court, so you can all look up what the sentence is likely to be.

Meanwhile every week two women are killed by partner or ex partner, and for ‘less serious’ offences like rape, the time it takes to get to court means most cases will fail along the way. Witness evidence that’s strong has diminished to nothing 3 years later by the time it gets to court.

For all of you who’ve got creative ideas about how this case should be run, I suggest a read of the secret barrister books.

I fail to see how being named will affect the trial the jury listen to the evidence presented linking them to the act, and it would be on that basis a conviction would be obtained.
There’ll be no jury.
And they have been named

That's what I though. It's Andrew F who said they'd dug it up.
Mea culpa.

I meant to write "haven't".

Back