Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Anyone remember the film made here the Bellstone fox?

No but I googled it. It was actually filmed mainly on the Quantocks and the train scene was filmed on the West Somerset Railway. If you want a good story about men and foxes A Black Fox Running. Even better if you also know the Haytor area well. That's good in the sense that it's a good story but not always an easy read.

Thanks for the Combestone Tor shot - it covers exactly where Mum and Dad are sprinkled.

Week 43.

This week I went over Hurston Ridge to the Stone Row then over to Bennett's Cross and down to the old Mine Ruins at Vitifer then the Golden Dagger Mine Ruins in Soussons Down.
Hurston Stone Row.

006 Hurston Ridge Stone Row 02-2242 PS Adj.JPG

Vitifer Mine Ruins.
017 Old Vitifer Mine 01-0239 PS Adj.JPG
This Waterfall was hidden in the trees beside the track to the Golden Dagger Mine Ruins.
031 Waterfalls in Soussons Down Plantation 02-0252 PS Adj V2.JPG
As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Last edited:
Week 44.

This week despite rain forecast I took a risky walk from Kestor Rock over to Teign Head Farm and Clapper Bridge hoping to get out and back before the rain came. Unfortunately the weather forecast was wrong on 2 counts, 1 the timing of the rain and 2 they didn't mention the thunder and lightning. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

I did get all the way out to Teign Head dry with some nice skies.

Kestor Rock.

001 Kestor Rock 01-9135 PS Adj.JPG

The Rock Basin.

003 Kestor Rock Basin 01-9151 PS Adj.JPG

Teing Head Farm and Clapper Bridge.

012 Teign Head Clapper Bridge 01-9178 PS Adj.JPG

Unfortunately after the farm the weather turned very nasty with hailstorms, thunder and lightning. I have to say I was glad the lightning was sheet not fork as I had an aluminium tripod on my backpack.

The storm caught me about 2 miles from the car.

027 Stormy Weather 03-9204 PS Adj.JPG

On the way home towards Princetown the clouds broke although the storms were still to the North.

032 Stormy Weather 04-9212 PS Adj.JPG

The storm wouldn't have been nice (been there done that.......) but that's an awesome photo looking down the wall. The menhir/bond stone is the Longstone and I have an interesting comparison photo taken before it was straightened up. I also have photos of Teignhead Farm from almost exactly your viewpoints but in different weather conditions. The last time I had a good poke round that area I'd come over from Bennetts Cross and the mires were all frozen.
I'm itching to get back down there (a route were I won't drown from below......) but the glimpses of better weather always coincide with me having to be here :(

The storm wouldn't have been nice (been there done that.......) but that's an awesome photo looking down the wall. The menhir/bond stone is the Longstone and I have an interesting comparison photo taken before it was straightened up. I also have photos of Teignhead Farm from almost exactly your viewpoints but in different weather conditions. The last time I had a good poke round that area I'd come over from Bennetts Cross and the mires were all frozen.
I'm itching to get back down there (a route were I won't drown from below......) but the glimpses of better weather always coincide with me having to be here :(
Thanks Jan, is this the Longstone you are referring to?

006 Gidleigh Boundary Stone 01-9164 PS Adj.JPG

Week 45.

Another stormy day on Dartmoor but I found a gap that took me back up to Norsworthy Bridge and over Down Tor to Combshead Tor, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Down Tor Stone Row.

022 Down Tor Stone Row 05-0279 PS Adj.JPG

Norsworthy Bridge.

001 Norsworthy Bridge 01-0257 PS Adj.JPG

The gap wasn't complete and the storms did catch me but happily I was sheltering in the rocks of Down Tor at the time. :D

013 Stormy Weather 04-9238 PS Adj.JPG

015 Stormy Weather 06-9242 PS Adj.JPG

Week 46.

This week I was once again faced with stormy weather so needed a Plan B. I found a gap in the weather that should allow me to get from Pork Hill Car Park to Windy Post across past Vixen Tor to Pew Tor then back via The Wheelwright's Stone under Barn Hill and back to the Car Park before the rains hit (hopefully). As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog.

Windy Post.

002 Windy Post 01-1405 PS Adj.JPG

Vixen Tor.

020 Vixen Tor 03-9309 PS Adj.JPG

Pew Tor.

012 Pew Tor 02-9291 PS Adj.JPG

The Wheelwright's Stone.

026 Wheelwright's Stone 02-9333 PS Adj.JPG

I just got back to the car park in time, this was the view to the West from the Pork Hill Viewing Point.

028 Pork Hill Viewpoint 02-9342 PS Adj.JPG

Abit more water in the leat than when I was last in that area in April! I also visited Pew Tor quarry on that day and the water was a deep turquoise green. Looks like it's been flushed out with the recent rain. The one of Vixen Tor across the flood pool with the bit of cloud drifting behind is great.

Abit more water in the leat than when I was last in that area in April! I also visited Pew Tor quarry on that day and the water was a deep turquoise green. Looks like it's been flushed out with the recent rain. The one of Vixen Tor across the flood pool with the bit of cloud drifting behind is great.
Thanks Jan, yes we have had a fair bit or rain just lately.

Week 47.

A hasty "Plan B" this week as the weather forecast changed from dry to stormy overnight with just a 3 hour gap so I needed a walk that I could do in that 3 hours or get another soaking. I went for Ditsworthy Warren House from Gutter Tor Refuge Car Park over to Legis Tor then Gutter Tor and back to the car as this was where the biggest gap in the weather was. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Ditsworthy Warren House.

010 Ditsworthy Warren House 04-9369 PS Adj.JPG

Legis Tor.

019 Legis Tor 02-1416 PS Adj.JPG

Gutter Tor from the Trig Point.

025 Gutter Tor 03-9394 PS Adj.JPG

Then the weather caught up.

023 God Beams over Legis Tor 01-9392 PS Adj.JPG

Week 48.

The weather was kind and there was no firing on Willsworthy Ranges so I finally managed to get out to The Rattlebrook. I went out from Lane End Car Park over to Nat Tor then Ger Tor, Tavy Cleave Rocks and finally set up above Deadlake Foot to shoot up The Rattlebrook with my Bronica SQ-Ai. Unfortunately the film scans won't be back for another week at least (maybe longer due to Postie Strikes) but I did replicate each shot with a Leica D-Lux Typ109 set to square format (this even shoots the RAW in the square format).

The main shot up Tavy Cleave with Ger Tor on the left (the film shot is slightly wider as the Leica only goes to 24mm equiv but the 40mm I used on the Bronica is a bit wider than that.

005 Tavy Cleave 01-1010667 PS Adj.JPG

The setup.

008 Tavy Cleave (Broni Setup) 03-9415 PS Adj.JPG

Here I was (rather precariously) on the edge of Tavy Cleave Rocks.

018 Tavy Cleave Rocks (Bronica Setup) 01-9436 PS Adj.JPG

The shot (digital version) this one is at the equivalent FL as the Bronica's 65mm.

017 Tavy Cleave Rocks 01-1010669 PS Adj.JPG

I'll put the film shots in when I get them back, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine, https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

That range is a bit of a pain, isn't it, especially since they close such a wide area? I once had a chat to the guy taking the flags down at the end of firing, and his lovely horse. I asked him if he got the quad bike out in winter but he said no, it has to be done on horseback to reduce the environmental impact.
It's fun being out on the Okehampton range when they're blank firing................

That range is a bit of a pain, isn't it, especially since they close such a wide area? I once had a chat to the guy taking the flags down at the end of firing, and his lovely horse. I asked him if he got the quad bike out in winter but he said no, it has to be done on horseback to reduce the environmental impact.
It's fun being out on the Okehampton range when they're blank firing................
It's done on Horseback because the MoD's License to use Dartmoor (whith the Duchy) for live firing prohibits them from using motorised transport except in extremis (like needing to get building repair materials out to fix their infastructure) if they were allowed to use Quads they would.

You're right about the Blank Firing it is disconcerting to hear the firing even though you see no flags, on this walk I could hear Blank Firing but because of the low cloud it seemed loud enough to be live.

Blank or real I don't think it sounds any different - certainly not when you're standing in the middle of it. I tend to join the sheep behind a rock. I don't trust them that much........
Could also have been a pheasant shoot off the moor
Low flying helicopters can be fun too...........

I don't trust the Dartmoor sheep either! ;)

As always, an interesting set of shots and story behind them.

Week 49.

This week I went to the South Moor on to Harford Common to see Piles Copse and Sharp Tor. TBH I find this part of the Moor rather featureless even a bit barren but there were a couple of surprises for me and Piles Copse is interesting as an Ancient Oak Woodland (one of the only 3 on Dartmoor). As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Piles Copse and SHarp Tor.

026 Piles Copse 03-2273 PS Adj.JPG

Piles Brook.

007 Piles Brook (GFX) 02-0287 PS Adj.JPG

One of the surprises on the side of Sharp Tor.

015 Sharp Tor 07-9480 PS Adj.JPG

I love that part of the moor but............. parking. Lane up from Cantrell? My Defender won't get under the limbo bar at Ivybridge station. I can't do a 130 mile round trip that risks not finding anywhere to park and closing parking puts more pressure on other places. I'd love to bang a few heads together and tell them to get their act sorted out.
The stuff on Sharp Tor is part of the old china clay pipeline from Redlake down to Cantrell below Western Beacon

I love that part of the moor but............. parking. Lane up from Cantrell? My Defender won't get under the limbo bar at Ivybridge station. I can't do a 130 mile round trip that risks not finding anywhere to park and closing parking puts more pressure on other places. I'd love to bang a few heads together and tell them to get their act sorted out.
The stuff on Sharp Tor is part of the old china clay pipeline from Redlake down to Cantrell below Western Beacon
Thanks Jan. The 2 times I've gone to this area on the Harford side I've mamaged to find a spot by the Church but it's only a 30 mile round trip for me so not such a risk.

Week 50.

This week there was snow forecast and we were in minus temps so I decided to go to Bellever and Laughter Tors because I could park in the Dartmoor Visitor Centre Car Park which is just off the main road at Postbridge and therefore my drive would be all on gritted roads, I didn't want to risk getting stuck on a frozen lane somewhere. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Bellever Tor (that's old snow BTW).

012 Bellever Tor 04-9531 PS Adj.JPG

Laughter Tor Standing Stone.

017 Laughter Tor Standing Stone 01-9538 PS Adj.JPG

I also took in Bellever Bridge and Clapper Bridge.

027 Bellever Bridge 04-1423 PS Adj.JPG

Very much enjoying this thread, thanks! Dartmoor is my old PhD stomping ground, many a happy hour spent on the moor with various cameras!

I lived in Plymouth in my early years and as a family we often went to the Moors, usually the parts near to Yelverton. At school we were given dire warnings about the bogs, quickly changing weather etc. It is only in recent years, when we have booked a cottage near Tavistock that my wife and I have discovered other parts of Dartmoor and they are delightful. I get the feeling we could spend years exploring Dartmoor and still not see everything.

Hopefully your posts will continue next year as they provide much inspiration.

I lived in Plymouth in my early years and as a family we often went to the Moors, usually the parts near to Yelverton. At school we were given dire warnings about the bogs, quickly changing weather etc. It is only in recent years, when we have booked a cottage near Tavistock that my wife and I have discovered other parts of Dartmoor and they are delightful. I get the feeling we could spend years exploring Dartmoor and still not see everything.

Hopefully your posts will continue next year as they provide much inspiration.
Thanks Stephen, hopefully I'll continue to inspire into 2023. You are right though I have spent many years on Dartmoor and still only know a small bit of it. (y)

Week 51.

This week I made another trip down to the South part of Dartmoor to visit Western and Ugborough Beacons, once again I was fortunate with the weather. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my blog. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Ugborough Beacon.

023 Ugborough Beacon 09-2292 PS Adj.JPG

Western Beacon.

006 Cairns on Western Beacon 02-9574 PS Adj.JPG

En-route I visited Butterdon Hill and Hangershell Rock.

Butterdon Hill.

011 Butterdon Hill Trig Point 01-9583 PS Adj.JPG

Hangershell Rock.

013 Hangershell Rock 01-9589 PS Adj.JPG

Reactions: Nod
Week 52.

This is the last Photowalk of 2022, I missed one week due to a work reunion but did still manage to get one shot from Dartmoor that week so this is the 52nd week straight photographing on Dartmoor. It has been a challenge to get out each week, sometimes the weather hasn't been the best and varying the routes to keep it interesting has been a part of that challenge.

Once again the weather lead on decision making for the route, the only area with a remote chance of a dry walk was around Cox, Roos and Gt Staple Tors so that is where I headed for.

008 Cox Tor Trig Point 01-9633 PS Adj.JPG

011 Roos Tor 02-9641 PS Adj.JPG

023 Gt Staple Tor 03-9662 PS Adj.JPG

Bonus Tor, Vixen.

029 Vixen Tor 01-9667 PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Thufurs? T'internet is your friend. They're related to glaciation and the Ice Age. Not just your ordinary everyday Dartmoor hummocks put there to trip over but very special, ancient hummocks. There is a bit of debate over exactly when they formed as some seem to be within hut circles. Unless my ancestors used them as stools and slept somewhere else...........

Thufurs? T'internet is your friend. They're related to glaciation and the Ice Age. Not just your ordinary everyday Dartmoor hummocks put there to trip over but very special, ancient hummocks. There is a bit of debate over exactly when they formed as some seem to be within hut circles. Unless my ancestors used them as stools and slept somewhere else...........
Thanks, here they are from a different direction.

007 Bad Weather 03-9631 PS Adj.JPG

I wondered today whether to start a new topic for this year's 52 Dartmoor Photowalks (challenge) but in the end I decided to keep this one running and add 2023's walks to it.

This week once again the weather dictated where and when I went out, Bank Holiday Monday was it and I was not alone by any stretch. It became difficult to get shots without families and dog walkers in but I managed. I was going up a very popular area to be fair, over Lydford High Down (Brat Tor and Widgery Cross are an easy walk from the car park behind the Dartmoot Inn plus the pub makes the end of th ewalk attractive to many. I chose not to go up Brat Tor to join the masses instead headed out over to Bleak House coming back via Gt Links and Arms Tors. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Gt Links Tor, I had to wait 20 mins until a family of 4 and their dog finished their picnic sitting around the Trig Point.

022 Gt Links Tor 06-0355 PS Adj.JPG

Bleak House was lit with rather unremarkable light, blending it to the background quite a lot. I wondered if it had been worth the effort to get out there, I've certainly got better shots before.

011 Bleak House 01-0330 PS Adj.JPG

After Bleak House I went back via The Dunnagoats and Gt Links Tor.

016 Gt Links Tor 02-0344 PS Adj.JPG

Then Arms Tor.

026 Arms Tor 05-9730 PS Adj.JPG

Finally back over High Down Ford, looking back I saw the Moon rising amongst the clouds between Arms and Brat Tors.

032 High Down Ford,  Arms and Brat Tors 01-0369 PS Adj.JPG

I love that area especially once I've outwalked the doggy walkers. Usually it's only them at that time in the morning but it used to be I could rock up at my chosen parking area and be the only vehicle there, and again when I left. For some reason from some angles I've always thought Great Links looks like a crouching lion, or is that just me...........?
From what I've seen the world, its wife, kids, dogs and all its friend and relatives were out on Dartmoor on the bank holiday. Most of them complaining about how busy it was.............. :LOL: :LOL:

You were blessed with good light. A good set; #1 & #4 are my favourites.

Week 2.

This week has been awful weather, there wasn't a good day at all so I opted for Tuesday (my normal day) and just took whatever the weaqther gave me which was fog, rain and wind. I tried to find an area that was least heavily hit so I went out on the old Dismantled Railway past Ingra Tor up to Swelltor Quarries. The issue I had was the wind and "mizzle" which meant I could only shoot with my back to it which restricts compositon, also thewre was the fog.

Ingra Tor in the fog.

008 Lone Tree at Ingra Tor 01-9758 PS Adj.JPG

This is the old Quarry Manager's House in Swelltor Quarry.

021 Ruins at Swelltor Quarry 01-9778 PS Adj.JPG

There is a small disused Quarry in Ingra Tor.

012 Dissused Quarry at Ingra Tor 01-9763 PS Adj.JPG

As always you can see the full story and photos in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Last edited:
TBH, my favourite weather on the Moor is what you had to contend with! FAR fewer people around so you can usually have the spots all to yourself. Not so good for biking or photography but IMO it's the Moor at its best.

TBH, my favourite weather on the Moor is what you had to contend with! FAR fewer people around so you can usually have the spots all to yourself. Not so good for biking or photography but IMO it's the Moor at its best.
I agree except for the wind. If you get still conditions with the fog it makes for better compositions but the wind on Tuesday was really dibilitating hard and with moisture in it that just gets all over the lens front element and ruins the shots, hence the weak compositions on a lot of the shots (back to the wind only).

Back