What is it?

Google reverse image search suggests Common Redstart.

By the way you may want to lock your images down on Flickr. I was able to download the full size image.
Thank you very much! I didn't think of the Google image search thing. They also talk of Familiar Chats, what do you think?
Edit: those chats apparently live in South Africa, not here in Europe.

Last edited:
I too like Merlin.....

I downloaded the Western Europe bird pack that includes France.

I loaded the picture into and the Jura area for the location and "it" said Female Black Redstart but neither the 'western' or 'eastern' variant looked buff coloured like the one above. Explore for Common Redstart shows closer akin to your image.

Merlin isn't perfect but is great to have including more latterly it's sounds ID section:)

I'd go with Google, a Common Redstart, a female - you can just see the "red/orange" on the tail - there are lots in France this time of year
"start" was an old name for tail

The male looks very different

It's from the family of flycatchers - look at the beak which is typical of a flycatcher

Last edited:
second thoughts I think it's a female Black Redstart - they are darker than the common

(the males are easy to tell apart - Black v Common - but the females, the Black is a darker brown than the Common)

Last edited:
Is the colour right? Looking at pictures on Google Images, the female Black Redstart looks more grey than brown.

I've got quite a few images that I took in France - we lived there for some time - I'll have a look - but the females always confused me as I saw the Blacks and the Common in the same place, sometimes together - i.e. in our garden.

Back