What to put the new camera and lens in

Edit My Images
No
About to buy a R7 and the kit 18/150 lens

I see there are various camera bags , If you have a camera bag do you also need to put your lens in a lens pouch or case

want to get a cheap bag for the R7 and lens just now until I expand my lens or see what I actually need , but I dont want to put my lovely new camera at risk of damage. Any signposting for a solution of something to use just now until I get a more expensive bag welcome.

Aside from a camera case, I do suggest one of the silicon skins you can get. Plenty on eBay and Amazon, I got a white one for my R5. Keeps it perfect.

Am thinking of getting a good normal backpack and using a insert thing

Aside from a camera case, I do suggest one of the silicon skins you can get. Plenty on eBay and Amazon, I got a white one for my R5. Keeps it perfect.
Have been looking for a R7 one couldn't see any
Will look again
Thanks

I have my camera and lens in a Think Tank holster. Its robust and I just leave the lens on and keep it in my lounge so everything is always warm. I saw one for an R7 on ebay sell for £30.00 about two months ago. Here is mine . . .

Think Tank Holster for TalkPhotography post sized _ R0040295.JPG

I use the Lowepro Tahoe BP150 backpack approx. £65, plenty of room for camera(s) and lenses, plus flash and has side pouches for sandwiches and flask. I use additional straps for lightweight tripod/monopod. Large enough for D500+500pf or Sigma 150-600c and rugged enough. Fits nicely on my back and I have used as just a backpack when out walking.

At £65 its compares to a decent normal backpack .... I got mine in Argos !

1714678022018.png

I use the Lowepro Tahoe BP150 backpack approx. £65, plenty of room for camera(s) and lenses, plus flash and has side pouches for sandwiches and flask. I use additional straps for lightweight tripod/monopod. Large enough for D500+500pf or Sigma 150-600c and rugged enough. Fits nicely on my back and I have used as just a backpack when out walking.

View attachment 421714
Do you keep your lens in a pouch/case in the bag please

View attachment 421714
Got one of those last weekend for my R7. It's a nice size backpack that takes camera and lens with space for another couple lenses and a few other accessories. Much lighter on my back compared to the BP 300 AW Photo Classic that takes a lot more.

I have several.

A Osprey Kamber backpack with a padded insert which carries almost everything on big trips out.
A Crumpler ? shoulder bag which will hold an A7Riii/35GM & an A7/FE85 plus odds & sods.
A messenger bag from Amazon which is perfect for the X100f & film camera plus drink/small lens - I need to try to squeeze the drone in this one too, that would be cool if it fits!

Oh, I also have an old Lowepro Flipside 300 but that's not left the house for years.

I have a ThinkTank Airport International Roller Case, a Lowepro Vertex AW300 backpack and a Lowepro Steath Reporter shoulder bag. All very good bags and all useful for different circumstances. My wife has a Lowepro Sling type bag.

Have a look at Billingham bags. They're relatively expensive but will likely last a very long time.

Exactly!

The answer to the question "Home namy camera bags do I need?" is always...

One more :)

(I have two Think Tank and one other holsters and three camera bags!)

Do you keep your lens in a pouch/case in the bag please
I find the internals can be configured to suit bare lenses, but I do you soft pouches for converters. I have on occasion fitted lens cases to the outside straps also ....

I have two holsters - one for camera plus standard zoom - but a little bit too small for my kit, the other for a camera, plus grip plus 70-200 f2.8 - my 80-400 just about fits but 200-500 doesn't. Then I have 2 backpacks, one is home to the 500/4 (Lowepro 600AW) and is my 'international' travel bag, and a Tenba Solstice 24 for the lighter stuff (if birds aren't on the menu).

I don't think you need to spend too much on a bag, all mine have lasted quite well, and sometimes I use my Jack Wolfskin Snuggle backpack to carry just what I need. Anything precious gets wrapped in a large lint-free cloth.

The answer to the question "Home many ***** ***** do I need?" is always...

One more :)

***** ***** = insert object(s) of desire, be they bags, cameras, lenses, guitars, motorcycles, fishing rods, boats, pairs of boots...

I think I have…

Thinktank airport international v2
Pelican 1510
Pelican 1830(?)
Wotancraft Ryker
Wotancraft Coruda
Peak Design 10L Sling
Crumpler the Base
Crumpler Italian Job
Crumpler Geekstar
Tenga 14L Fulton

Start with a slingshot style and as you buy more lenses then buy more bags to suit your purposes.

I’m about to sell / give away around 5 or 6 bags (when I get round to photographing them).

The options are endless, before you buy, you need to think what your current and future needs might be.

I’m going down to having a small mindshift that fits all my RF kit, camera and 4 lenses only up to 85mm.

And a massive lowepro that holds all my EF gear, camera, 150-600, 70-200, 135 and 35mm.

Then there’s lighting bags, :oops: :$

I’m getting rid of
A passport
A messenger
3 rucksacks various sizes and states.

About to buy a R7 and the kit 18/150 lens

I see there are various camera bags , If you have a camera bag do you also need to put your lens in a lens pouch or case

want to get a cheap bag for the R7 and lens just now until I expand my lens or see what I actually need , but I dont want to put my lovely new camera at risk of damage. Any signposting for a solution of something to use just now until I get a more expensive bag welcome.
Think about how you photograph, and how to balance out speed of access, weather protection, security, etc.

A padded insert in a normal backpack could make for relatively slow access, if that's a concern. A holster-style bag is handy for a single body-lens combo like the one you mention (find one the right length!), and such a bag can be worn over the shoulder for fast access, or stashed inside the backpack for security, double rain-resistance, or more compactness when travelling. And you don't have to buy new ...

It also depends on what else you are doing - for instance do you need to be carrying other kit because you are out on a hike. My preference for rucksacks are ones with a padded section for camera kit and space for other things. I prefer this over a padded insert in a normal rucksack because I find the pack better balanced with the heavy camera at the bottom, but I don't want to have to empty the bag to get to the camera.

One thing is 100% certain. You will not find any bag that will do everything you want.

I don't usually use a backpack, awkward and inconvenient for most uses (they do have their time and place).

I find a fairly small messenger bag is usually the best, carries what I want and id reasonably quick to use.
I carry 3 lenses that cover 14-600 (ff eq) and the camera, spare batteries, couple of filters, and it is roughly 30X20X15 cm and easy to carry

I've never found 'the perfect bag' - I'm sure it doesn't exist. I've had a multitude of bags over the years, each had their plus points and minus points.

Most of the time I use my roller bag. For events where I'm walking any great distance over grass, gravel, mud etc., I'll use the back pack - and there are other events where the shoulder bag works best. I had several other bags which I sold to keep the three I have now.

I have (only) two : a sling style bag which can carry my complete kit : body, fifty, small zoom, large zoom and cleaning kit batteries etc. I also have a holster bag for days out when I don’t need everything. The latter is an f-stop navin holster bag. Its length is adjustable so it can fit a camera with either a small prime or long zoom. It’s my Goldilocks bag.

Back